More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
How to Keep it Going Without Caffeine
by Steve Pavilanis
Aug 26, 2010

Caffeine has long been a part of our culture, but these days many of us are consuming too much. Many American coffee shops offer huge 24oz. cups of strong coffee, while some convenience stores sell gigantic 128oz. tankers of sugar-laden fountain soda. These excessive amounts of caffeine (and sugar) can be a powerful and unhealthy shock to your system, especially if you suffer from any uncomfortable level of anxiety.

So what can you do as an alternative to sipping coffee or soda all day?

For starters, begin to wean yourself off of the go-juice. Begin by drinking smaller amounts and/or diluting it with water. If you're an avid coffee drinker, try switching to tea. I am an avid coffee drinker, but when I was suffering from daily panic attacks I gave up the coffee and switched to Chai tea lattes. They contain much less caffeine and even taste a bit like coffee, which made for a nice substitute.

Adding regular exercise to your routine will help you feel less sluggish in both the long and short term. Dehydration can also make you feel tired and irritable, so be sure you drink enough fluid throughout the day. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day. A healthy diet rich in fruit, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains can do wonders for you. It's like putting super premium fuel in your tank.

What if you're at your desk and feeling worn out and unmotivated? Get up and get outside! I don't care if it's 20 below zero and snowing upside down, get some fresh air and get your blood pumping by walking around the block a few times. Do some light stretching to help relieve built-up tension, and even jog in place of do some jumping jacks to get your heart rate going. You may be surprised how alert and refreshed you feel afterward.

Humans were never intended to sit at a desk for hours on end. Be sure to take frequent breaks - at least two per hour for at least 5 minutes each to stay sharp.

Applying these changes to your life can help break your dependence on caffeine for energy.

Steve Pavilanis is a normal everyday guy who suffered from extreme social anxiety and panic attacks for over five years. With great determination, research, and trial and error, he has taken his life back, returning to a healthy state of wholeness and optimism. Steve now helps others through their struggles with his book, A Life Less Anxious: Freedom from panic attacks and social anxiety without drugs or therapy, speaking, coaching, and blog. From his own experience of overcoming debilitating anxiety, Steve shows you how to calm yourself using proven mental and physical techniques including meditation, avoid common faulty thinking traps, make life changes that encourage a more peaceful mind, and how to face and overcome your fears and achieve more freedom in your life. For more information please visit alifelessanxious.com.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.