More threads by beautifulsnow

I really do suffer from Bipolar Disorder. I've read about it a year or two ago, but yesterday I read information about it in these forums, while looking for information about treatment for what I will explain later... I've got all of the symptoms.. right now I feel like I'm on a hyper episode, but two days ago I was really down.

Right now everything irritates me too. Well.. but the main reason of this post is..

I am a 18 year old girl, just graduated high school. I don't have money for treatment, no money for college or anything, even though I work full time, no health insurance (just moved to the USA a few years ago, so my family is still trying to ... you know, buy a house... and stuff, afford car insurance... and I've got like, lots of brothers and sisters, so there isn't too much money in the house)

So I'd like to know what I can do to make myself better. These last months I've felt so down, basically because I was very worried about my future, that I almost killed myself, worried friends, made my boyfriend break up with me because he just couldn't take the pressure anymore, I wasn't wanting help at all. All I would talk about when he was around, was about how much I hated myself... ouch, it hurts too think about how I felt like, and what I did... so, enough of that.

What worries me the most, and I don't know if I'm on the right section of the forum for this, is, I have some caring friends, but I don't talk too much... My parents did everything to keep me, and my female siblings, from having friends, or simply talking to people, family, well, socializing, so I've never really learned about friendships that well. I'm not tottaly a loner, but I'd like to talk more when I'm around people that I find interesting and vice versa, but I don't really have the skills to chat, and practicing those doesn't seem to be enough.

I think that bipolar disorder thing doesn't help it much. so I'd like it gone, or lifted away a little.

I don't know... I guess I just want some help, even though I don't know which path to take, Eh, in fact, I'm not aware of any path, other than medication and therapy, which I cannot afford.

I don't even know what I'm asking with this post, but if anyone has anything to say, PLEASE feel free to.

Thank you so much, I will be back tomorow to look around the forums. (I'm majoring in Psychology, I love the subject)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In addition to getting samples from the doctor, many drug companies that make antidepressants provide free medication to the financially needy, at least in the US. From what I have read, the only problem is that it can take up to 30 days to receive the medication, but you can get up to a 4-month supply at a time. For more info and applications: NeedyMeds.com

As far as affording college in the future:
Free Application for Federal Student Aid - US Dept. of Education
Student Financial Aid on the Web - US Dept. of Education

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Here's another site for information about obtaining medications when you can't afford them: freemedsandsolutions.com

Do a search on this site for omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs) -- adding more of these into your diet via supplements or dietary changes can help.

I have the impression that in your case "bipolar disorder" is a self-diagnosis -- is that correct?

Eh, I've waited too long, a month isn't too much of a wait anymore.

Does anyone know if medication/therapy would help with me being really quiet around my friends? I mean.. I'm not really shy at all,.. no, wait, let me clarify that.. I am not shy to strangers, but when I'm with someone I know fairly well, I feel embarassed talking, because I think/know I'm not good enough at talking, so I usualy just shut up. I mean, other people hang out all their lives, with friends, and I haven't, so why would they even care about me, about what I have to say?

.. beh I'm just ranting ^^; Sorry If I sound really sad, but I'm ok ;p

David Baxter said:
Here's another site for information about obtaining medications when you can't afford them: freemedsandsolutions.com

Do a search on this site for omega-3 essential fatty acids (EFAs) -- adding more of these into your diet via supplements or dietary changes can help.

I have the impression that in your case "bipolar disorder" is a self-diagnosis -- is that correct?

Thank you for all the help so far! I didn't really go into details on my initial post...
Yes, it is self-diagnosed. In the last few months... well, since March... I've been feeling really depressed, without even noticing it, or that it was damaging me and my relationships with others, my performance at work and school...

Other than having all the symptoms, somedays I feel...as if I can't feel anything ^^; and other days I feel so much, that I think I am just hyper.

Well.. I'll be here if you want to know anything specific.. let me know.

Thanks once again.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, exercise is known as "the poor man's antidepressant." It has helped me, at least, with stress and unipolar depresssion.

stargazer

Exercise really is very helpful. I recently moved and got out of the habit of running five mornings a week. In the past month, I've only run about three or four times, and these past few days I've been noticeably more tired and lethargic than usual. I attribute this to the lack of exercise.

I also have been diagnosed Bipolar One and Hypomanic--but this is the first time in months that I have felt "down" for several consecutive days. They told me it would happen, but they didn't say when. Hopefully, if I can renew my exercise program soon, it will "pick me up" again. I think I underestimated the extent to which I depended on it for my well-being.

Maybe try getting 5HTP (serotonin)? I think it's fairly cheap, I don't think it'd throw you into a manic episode...but I hear it's good for moderate depression.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.