More threads by desiderata

desiderata

I definitely believe in the science behind COVID-19 and the safeguards recommended.
]
I also believe that the human condition has a yearning not to be contained, isolated, or unable to be free as we once were.

The paradox is that humans don't do a whole lot that is always beneficial for themselves or society. Many things can still be done responsibly along with this pandemic having the upper hand. Although it's as if we are under rule by a force that has us in chains or behind walls.

What do we do? Have patience? Follow guidelines? Yes and yes. However, there is an underlying urge in almost all of us to travel with family and friends and go fishing, skiing, see a ballgame or event, get together during the holidays or just get together whenever. These things that have been taken away from us by a contagious disease can only go on so long.

That is why COVID-19 has to be figured out and snuffed out once and for all. Just like nature itself, human nature can only be held at bay for so long.

This is simply my thinking, my beliefs, and my opinions. I don't want to upend anything already in place. I just want to be free from fear that some of my elders might get sick. And also I just want to be free.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I wish I lived in Canada during this crisis:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/narcissism-mask-covid-psychology/2020/09/25/d3de1b32-fe9c-11ea-9ceb-061d646d9c67_story.html

This unwillingness to follow pandemic guidelines, despite the fact that health experts and scientific data support their efficacy, has become a widespread issue in the United States, and reflects its reputation as a society with higher levels of attitudes associated with narcissism.

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-fatigue-covid-19-letting-guard-down-winter-months/7194853/

The best way for people to mentally live through a pandemic during the winter months is to reframe it from a hardship to community service.

Just recently, I've even seen pharmacists not wearing masks, but I live in rural "Trump country" where he just had a rally here on Monday.

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The thing is that the more compliant we are with the recommended practices and restrictions, the sooner we can expect to get back to a sort of normalcy.

That's what is so frustrating to me about the deniers and "standing up for my rights" rebels. You can't rebel against a virus. The virus doesn't care and all the rebels are just spreading it further.

Have patience. It's really that simple. Have patience and we will in good time get better control over the virus at the same time as we are learning more, developing better treatments, and in time developing a vaccine.

desiderata

Bear with me. I'm just trying to wrap my head around the situation and speak from my point of view. Unfortunately my head cannot stretch as far as needed. This crisis has hit home with me today when I learned that my brother-in-law received word that his mother is now on a ventilator and the prognosis is not good. What was only in the news is now a reality for my sister and her husband. The anguish of not being allowed to go into the hospital ward to be with and comfort a loved one is a type of torture. I also heard in the news this pandemic is only the beginning of what our world may have to deal with in the future as far as disease is concerned. This, along with a myriad of other issues looms large. The future does not look as bright as it used to be. Maybe I watch and read too much news. But I still have hope. I live and work so much better when I'm in harmony with those around me as I believe most people do. I do wonder though about those who seem to like chaos and splintered factions. What do they expect to achieve? The only way a battle has been won is on a united front. Can humanity come together in time to save us from ourselves?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
What was only in the news is now a reality for my sister and her husband. The anguish of not being allowed to go into the hospital ward to be with and comfort a loved one is a type of torture.

Sorry to hear that.

I live and work so much better when I'm in harmony with those around me as I believe most people do. I do wonder though about those who seem to like chaos and splintered factions. What do they expect to achieve? The only way a battle has been won is on a united front. Can humanity come together in time to save us from ourselves?

My husband has been laughed at twice for wearing a mask. So I have very little empathy left for the ignorance around me. Though most people seem to be doing the right thing, the superspreaders can ruin it for everybody and keep the virus endemic.

I am generally optimistic about COVID-19 long term, even if it becomes an annual thing like the flu. I am less optimistic about global warming, which may also increase the risks for pandemics like this one:

Climate change and COVID-19: Does global warming fuel pandemics?

Last edited:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
^^^ I agree with @Daniel.

In do believe we will learn to accommodate and continue to develop better treatments for COVID-19 despite the deniers and "what about my rights" complainers who are slowing down the process. Getting rid of Trump will help. And labs all over the world are working hard at understanding this virus and learning how better to combat it.

I would not be surprised to learn that the virus is in some way linked to climate change and, although I never give up hope, I am also less optimistic that we can defeat the deniers and those politicians who play to them. I do have a lot of faith and hope in our young people who are in increasing numbers stepping up to rattle the cages of their elders in power who have let them down.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.