More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
New Crisis Response maps feature preparedness information for Hurricane Sandy
Google Crisis Maps
Sunday 10/28/2012

Already responsible for a reported 41 deaths across the Caribbean, late-season Hurricane Sandy is expected to make landfall again early this week on the East Coast of the United States.

Some are calling the hurricane “Frankenstorm” due to its potential mix of both winter and tropical cyclone weather. Regardless of what you call it, we hope that you get the information you need to make preparations and stay safe if you are in the area. It has the potential to be one of the worst storms the area has seen in decades.

The Google Crisis Response team has assembled a Hurricane Sandy map to help you track the storm’s progress and provide updated emergency information.

On the map, you’ll find the following emergency preparedness information:

We’ve also launched a map specific to New York City, featuring evacuation zone information from NYC Open Data, open shelters, weather information and live webcams.

You can easily share and embed these maps on your website — just hit the “Share” button at the top of the map to get the HTML code. We’ll continue to update these maps as more information becomes available.

Posted by Ka-Ping Yee, Software Engineer, Google Crisis Response

Retired

Watching the news reports on CNN this afternoon show a storm a lot more severe than the one we experienced a few days ago as it skirted Florida by 200 miles to the east.

Central Florida received some wind, but the gusts didn't exceed 45 mph with occasional heavy rain. There was some flooding in Daytona, with some beach erosion along the coast South of Melbourne, but nothing like we are seeing shaping up in the Northeast.

What is the expectation in Ottawa, because the current path seems to be turning North following landfall.

Is anyone on the Forum along the Eastern Seaboard where the hurricane is making landfall?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It looks like the worst is going to hit west, south, and east of Ottawa, those areas closer to waterways like the Great Lakes or the St. Lawrence River. Here, we're probably looking at some rain and winds of up to 60-80 kph (35-50 mph). Niagara, Toronto, and Montreal will be harder hit though.

Retired

How about that crane that has toppled on top of the 80 storey hi rise tower in New York One57

The New York Times recently called it a ?global billionaires? club? because the nine full-floor apartments near the top have all been sold to billionaires. Among them are two duplexes under contract for more than $90 million each.

11777802-large.jpg

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The projected storm track keeps changing, shifting toward the east. Looks like Toronto and Niagara will be largely spared the center of the storm.

For a while it looked like it was shifting north to Kanata, just north west of Ottawa but now it's shifted again south of Kemptville and veering east toward Quebec. If it doesn't shift again, it looks like it will track north of Montreal and then further east.

Really, our area looks like it's going to be spared the worst of it. If you plotted a course for the least populated areas, you'd get the current course.

Banned

Banned
It really needs to pick a direction and just stick with it. I have plans tomorrow that involve trying to get to Ottawa and it really isn't making it easy. :coffee:

Look at me, I'm Sandra-dee... Blowing with hostility. :abnormal:

Stay safe guys! Glad to hear the storm's mostly avoiding everyone.

GDPR

GDPR
I agree. I have been hearing "it's the apocalypse" since I was a child. I even had to miss a friends birthday party when I was really young because 'supposedly' a baby was born and said the world was going to end on that specific date, and then the baby supposedly died. I was really upset when the world didn't end.I missed the party for nothing.

....or maybe it DID happen, and this is all just a dream...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.