More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Hypocrites, Drugs, and Mental Health
by Elena Peters
September 20, 2015

It is no secret that my husband has bipolar disorder and takes a huge cocktail of drugs everyday to keep himself stable. It is almost two years since his last relapse. And while I understand that his medication, therapy and self-awareness is not a sure-fire way to stave off a future episode, I truly believe that his treatment plan is his best defence. The drugs are a huge part of making it all work. But it seems people have a real problem with drugs.

Except alcohol, caffeine, sugar, aspartame or nicotine mind you.

Cold and flu medications, cough syrup or lozenges. They?re ok.

Antibiotics, acetaminophen, and muscle relaxants. Perfectly fine.

And birth control, insulin, or blood thinners. Absolutely necessary.

All the above drugs have huge side effect lists. But hey, sometimes you just have to make a trade-off for the greater good. Am I right?

But, OMG, any prescribed medication for mental illness is evil and bad for you?

This past week I have been having a discussion with a mother who refuses to put her 16-year-old on medication for severe anxiety and depression. What the hell?! I?m sorry but I truly don?t understand her stance.

Your child is suffering and I think you should do everything you can to help. And sometimes that means medications.

The excuses that your child may be labelled or that you don?t want them to feel like they are different are futile. That ship has sailed. Believe me, your child probably already has been labelled and is acutely aware that they are different.

Is this about you or them? Because if it?s about them, stop coming at this with your own pre-conceived bullshit and do all you can to help them before it is too late.

Stop being a hypocrite.

If the parent does not believe in medication then perhaps if they provide therapy for their child that in itself can be just as helpful sometimes.
I don't think judging a parent for their decision to protect their child is right perhaps the parent is just fearful of the side affects of the meds.
If she can provide therapy for the child and talk to someone who can educate her more about the choices there are then that is the best way to go.
The decision to give their child meds depending on the age should be between them and the child and the professionals involved

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I don't disagree, necessarily, but the author of this article is pointing out that people who wouldn't think twice about taking a Tylenol or an antibiotic sometimes cringe when a psychoactive medication for a mental health condition is mentioned, whether it is for themselves or for a child.

PrincessX

Account Closed
I think the real problem is that people would rather self-medicate with street drugs, alcohol, herbs or whatever else, than take prescription medications, that have passed clinical trials and have all possible or suspected side-effects and contraindications listed.

It happens more often to those, who are trying to find help for mental health conditions. It would be helpful to ask: Why? Why is this issue common when people suffer from mental health conditions. In this article the author goes on to criticize in order to motivate the mental health population. While, I like what she says, it would be more helpful to try to answer the Why question from a variety of different perspectives.

I have my humble opinion on it. There is a lot of stigma, for sure. There are a lot of people, who are very hesitant to talk to health professionals about their issues and consequently to obtain such prescriptions. There are also reasons inherent in psycho-pharmacology. Sometimes it takes multiple trials to arrive at the "right" medication in the right dosage. And, I understand why. Neurotransmitters are not something you can measure with regular blood work labs or with an ultrasound. It takes a lot of subjective feedback. In some cases, even in the hospitals, there might be very poor follow up on whether and how certain medications work on the individual. So, I know that proper monitoring and follow up are crucial.

Despite all considerations, knowing that prescription medications are scientifically tested makes them the safest alternative to invasive treatment, in my opinion.

GDPR

GDPR
I think there's so much stigma surrounding mental illness that many people feel ashamed,or weak,if they need to take medication,they would rather suffer than be labeled.

My husband has no problem taking his blood pressure medication,his sleep medication or antibiotics,etc.,but the one medication that he seems to need,and seems to help,his antidepressant,he has a hard time taking.He will admit that it does help,but he just won't stay on it,he doesn't want to admit that he suffers from depression and needs it.He doesn't want to admit depression is a 'mental illness',that HE is mentally unwell.

I think another thing is all the horror stories out there about medications for mental illness.Many people are afraid to try them,or stay on them,because of side effects they have heard about or read about,people claiming they grew an extra limb,or were permanently incapable of ever having sex again,etc.,there's more bad reviews out there than good ones,of course.

There's especially a lot of stigma when it comes to medicating children.Sad to say,but people tend to look down on,see medicated kids as 'less than' the average kid.

There's a lot of misinformation and horror stories and because of it,many people needlessly suffer.

My son recently told me he was diagnosed with GAD and was given a prescription.I was happy that he was finally seeking help for something he has always struggled with,but he looked and acted ashamed of it.That really bothered me,I wish people could talk about it,and feel,the same as they would if given an antibiotic for a chest infection,just happy that pretty soon they're not going to be feeling so sh*tty anymore.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.