More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'll likely hold off a while. I'm trying to get used to a new laptop, figuring out Vista (on the laptop), and trying to get all my bookmarks and logins synchronized between the laptop and the desktop. :panic:

We "experienced" folks can only handle so much new technology at a time. :eek:

Retired

David said:
get used to a new laptop, figuring out Vista

We have a new Vista Home Basic machine here which I have been working with as a secondary system.

There have been no major surprises, except for a few subtle navigation differences, including a different default shut down input selection sequence, and the inability to "move up one level" in a tree when exploring subfolders. The "Back" button is the substitute.

Other than that, Vista asks for confirmations for just about every action...a feature to be eliminated, I read, in the next MS OS.

My overall impression is the Vista machine is significantly faster performing many operations than my workhorse XP machine.

No regrets.

:2thumbs:

What's your impression so far, David?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
We have a new Vista Home Basic machine here which I have been working with as a secondary system.

There have been no major surprises, except for a few subtle navigation differences, including a different default shut down input selection sequence, and the inability to "move up one level" in a tree when exploring subfolders. The "Back" button is the substitute.

Other than that, Vista asks for confirmations for just about every action...a feature to be eliminated, I read, in the next MS OS.

My overall impression is the Vista machine is significantly faster performing many operations than my workhorse XP machine.

No regrets.

:2thumbs:

What's your impression so far, David?

About the same as yours. When I get time, I'll search for a way to disable the multiple "confirm" requests - I'm sure by now there must be one. I don't mind once, but three times for an operation is just plain silly.

I must say, I'm also pleasantly surprised by the speed of the machine. Of course, it's a new AMD dual core processor and I made sure I gave it plenty of RAM (4 Gb).

I'm still very much learning my way around, though. Some of this is because I've never before owned a lap top - getting used to the trackpad and the different (and smaller) keyboard layout slows me down a bit. :eek:

Retired

getting used to the trackpad

I don't like it, and use it only under very extreme circunstances..when everything else fails, the temperatures are 40 below and there is an tornado on its way......

Otherwise I bought a wireless laser mouse with a gel pad for my wrist which make a very comfortable way to navigate the pointer.

Some laptop users like those little bluetooth rodents that can work on your pant leg, or on the flat part of your laptop, but my preference is for the precision of a laser mouse.

;)

Halo

I have had a laptop for a few years now and always used the trackpad up until about 2 months ago when I bought a wireless mouse. Although I liked the trackpad and found it relatively easy to use, I did find that bolding, cutting and pasting and other such functions were not as easy, hence why I bought the mouse which I love and now can work even faster :D

As for the keys being closer together...yes I found that different as well at first but now when I go to a regular keyboard it feels awkward now but the keyboard of a laptop is definitely not made for someone with large hands.

One things that I believe is a lifesaver if you have a laptop is a cooling pad. I bought one about 9 months ago and absolutely love it. My computer was overheating on a regular basis and shutting itself down so I went and bought a cooling pad at Future Shop and it was the best money I ever spent. Now I can be on my computer for a whole evening and no overheating.

Anyway, just my :2cents: worth :D

Atlantean

I'll likely hold off a while. I'm trying to get used to a new laptop, figuring out Vista (on the laptop), and trying to get all my bookmarks and logins synchronized between the laptop and the desktop. :panic:

We "experienced" folks can only handle so much new technology at a time. :eek:

But I have faith in you!

LOL, Id worry more about the dismal result of their hacker challenge than anything. I never use IE, I use FF and and trying out Flock, but I dont like it, in all honesty.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
LOL, Id worry more about the dismal result of their hacker challenge than anything. I never use IE, I use FF and and trying out Flock, but I dont like it, in all honesty.

See above: Firefox was also hacked by the same guy with the same exploit.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
but IE just sucks. at least FF doesnt suck, IMO.

IE7 wasn't exactly a dream come true for me either, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for IE8, which I will reporting back on soon :)

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Just tried IE8 RC1. It am whelmed so far, not underwhelmed or overwhelmed :)

I would agree with all of this:

If you commonly use multiple tabs, you'll particularly welcome the way IE handles them. When you open a new tab from an existing page, the new one opens directly to the right of the originating one, and both tabs are given the same color. That way, all related tabs are automatically grouped and color-coded.

This subtle change in tab behavior may have a major effect on your productivity....

....There aren't many Accelerators and Web Slices available, and the selection of ones that are available sometimes leaves much to be desired.

...If you're a fan of add-ins and customizing the browser itself, Firefox is superior. But for the actual browsing experience, Internet Explorer has the upper hand -- for now.

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2009/031909-ie8-is-new-and-improved.html

Last edited:
I have to say I'm scared. LOL. I know I don't have to download it, but I always get curious and do it anyway, but change is hard too. I may wait a little while. I think I fit into the category of "experienced". LOL.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.