More threads by greenstarz

greenstarz

I just wanted to share... I'm going to quit smoking cigarettes today. I;ve tried this many times in the previous few month with no luck, but I am really hoping it will work this time. A few years ago I quit for 4 months and I felt so much better. I just spend way more money than I even have on smoking, and I feel so ill all the time from smoking too many cigarettes at a time. I am hoping this is enough motivation to get me through. I'm going to use the nicotine patch, and I am have this little book called, the art of quitting, or something like that. It's little inspirations supports to help you.

I don't know why I'm sharing this really. I am just excited about it!

Andy

MVP
YAY!!! Today is a fine day to quit smoking! You can do it! I quit 5 years ago (well I am still known to have a smoke when I drink but I don't drink often anymore) after 15/16 years. I would still smoke if it wasn't for the smell. lol I have a really sensitive nose and it was really starting to bug me.

I think the most important thing to remember is that the craving will pass. I still get cravings now but they go away just as fast. I would suck on candy and make myself do little things around the house to keep busy if the cravings got to bad.

Those are just some ideas, I know everyone has their own way that works for them. Don't get discouraged if you give in. Tomorrow is always a new day so just keep at it. You will feel so much better! Good luck greenstarz! You can do it!!:cheerleader:

greenstarz

Thank you for your support! I just have one question though. All the times I've tried to quit, a craving will come, and if I could just tell myself tht it's only temporary than I might be able to make it through. But I always give in because it feels like it will be forever. So you said it is only temporary, but like, how long do you have to wait before it subsides. Meaning, even in the first days, will there be times where I am not craving a cigarette. Do the cravings pass even in the inital part of quitting? I know they come back, but at least is there some kind of relief? Like, if i coudl say, ok, just wait an hour and it will pass, I would be mcuh better. Was this your/or anyones experience?

Andy

MVP
Well I think everyone is different greenstarz. I think I would just go do something and it would be gone. I didn't consciously give myself a time frame because I think I would have sat there and focussed on that. For example, ugh it's been 55 minutes I only have 5 more minutes, why isn't this craving going away damn it?
For me the cravings were moderate to severe for a good month because I had to get use to the things I would normally do while having a smoke, I had to do them without one, like having a coffee etc. Then they were strong some days and non existent other days.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tell yourself to wait 30 minutes to see if it passes. When you get to 30m minutes, if the craving is still therer, tell yourself, "I made it this far. I can wait another 30 minutes".

Keep doing that until it passes. And it will pass.

greenstarz

Thank you both for your tips, and help. I made it through the night without smoking! I usually smoke all night long because of stress at that time of day for me, but I didn't even smoked one! This time of morning is hard for me too---oh it's only 4am! But I consider this the day time---I hate the nihgt. My point is that I'm making it! I have cravings, but they are passing and I'm surviving. I just have to be able to maintain this somehow. I have a lot of anxiety and tension right now, but at least I know it's from lack of nicotine and not some unknown cause. I feel like I can make it this time. It's always the first day-3 days that are the hardest for me. Thank you all for your support. It means SO much to me!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I don't know about your state, but in Florida the Deptartment of Health website offers free counseling by phone (a "quitline") to help one through the process of quitting as well as free nicotine gum. (From what I remember, it's all paid for by money from the cigarette companies.)

There is probably a quitline for your state as well:

NAQC Quitline Map - United States & Canada

I've heard chewing other things helps (gum, hard candy), or carrying something else around in your hand to play with (squeezy ball thingy, pen, making something with your hands like a paper airplane).

My husband quit when his father passed away - sheer will power. My dad quit when he had a nasty asthma attack that hospitalized him, and then he also found out he had emphysema... He found it easier to quit with acupuncture... Something about squeezing a pressure point on his ear or something...

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.