More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Inside Carly
By Bryn Robinson
Wed, Apr 30 2008

Simply put, this story fascinates me.

Often, the word autism is associated with images of poor social skills, the need for a regimented schedule, and difficulties controlling behaviours that are counter-intuitive to complete social integration (i.e., acting out with tantrums, hitting and screaming). But Carly, a 13-year old autistic girl, is changing the way that we view the disorder. Through intensive behavioural therapy, she has been able to communicate with her family, friends and therapists. Although she is unable to physically speak, she is able to articulate pretty standard thoughts and feelings for a teenager. Her behaviours and lack of speech create that stereotypical image of "autism", but through her writings she demonstrates that she is, in a sense, locked behind the barrier of her overt behaviours. For example, when asked what other autistic kids could learn from her story:

To tell you the truth I don't know

I am a girl with autism that learned how to spell and is now able to tell people what I think Its not like I built a thousand houses in new Orleans or found a way for people who don't have food get food I think the only thing I can say is don't give up your inner voice will find its way out Mine did
Give the writings that are linked with the website a read. I imagine this will be very interesting for those of you who have worked with autism-spectrum disorders. And even though I haven't had that opportunity, I was simply floored at what she had to say.

Makes you have to think again about what is really inside a person - as well as appreciate how frustrating it must be for individuals with these disorders.

poohbear

"... I was simply floored at what she had to say."

I find it really interesting, too. And doesn't it seem strange that we, as a society, would find it so fascinating that people with autism might actually have something to say? What gives us the right to think they don't think, feel, believe, want, need, enjoy, taste, hate or love-- just like we do? I have always believed (once I learned a bit about it, of course) that autistic people were just that: people. Trapped in a body unwilling to cooperate with their minds, somewhat similar to a Muscular Dystrophy patient unable to control musculo-skeletal movements.

Those mild to moderatley autisitic, or those without the tremendous behavioral and psycho-social obstacles have for so many years been classified as simply : "autisitc"-- grouped together with those who are unable to communicate or devoid of the skills necessary to learn. For many years, they were left there, alone... lumped in a group generally thought to have limited communication skills. Makes one wonder if maybe it is society that has failed them somehow-- failed to persue the avenues that might lead to communication.

Autism seems to have gotten alot of attention in the media the last 10 years or so. What about prior to this? What of the many hundreds, perhaps thousands of Autistic "Carly's" out there? Were they left alone inside their own heads, all this time? I couldn't imagine being trapped inside myself, unable to effectively communicate what I was feeling. I am SO happy for Carly. And I hope that whatever technology, patience and time was invested into her can be equally invested in the many, many other "Carly's" of the world.

Thank you for this link David , Carly is so deeply lucid about herself , she says she wishes others could understand how it is to be inside her body , and this underlines yet again how much we need to learn empathy and compassion for all those 'differences' of brain functioning which effect social behaviour and communication skills. I too feel deeply sad for all those individuals who were labelled as subnormal or crazy in the past due to a lack of understanding. There is still much ground to be covered until universal compassion is reached. But I think we are on the right road .

white page

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.