More threads by mysterious_stranger

Hi. I have not many friends I am talking every day, because I'm not interested in casual conversations. I have 3 to name the numbers...
One of these 3, the closest one, has found a girl in the internet about 6 weeks ago. They started to chat and haven't chatted only for 2 days during that period of time and only because the internet problems in our country. This is how it happens: he comes back from school (we aren't in the same class) and he waits for the girl to write first. He can't wait, but he doesn't write her first anyway. She usually writes him around 5 or 6 PM, as we are usually talking trough Skype, maybe doing homework together, if it's hard, stuff like that. Now, he starts to chat a lot, he talks too, but he just can't wait until she replies. He's acts like crazy.
Another fact is that she is 15 and he is 19, which makes it 4 years and not the usual way around. It's a big gap, isn't it?
The reason I'm posting this is that I am worried about him. He's the best friend of mine and his grades went down to 4 from 8-9 (out of 10) for the last few tests. We had a class together (was some project) and he was just staring at one point, thinking about something, not paying attention... Day dreaming. Teacher called him, he didn't respond until she called him the second time. He has been rational thinker and not very happy before, now he is happier most of the time and can't talk anything logical much, he just keeps messing up in things that he used to be good at.
I thought that I might be overprotective, but this is his life (yes, I know, his, not mine...) and he is destroying it for some internet girl he's never met and may not ever meet, just had a non-quality photo of her... He liked her before the photo too, he said.
And besides, they've met in an online game called Team Fortress. He is the head of the server for 6 years of the server and she plays in it.

So in short about my concern: he is destroying his grades to the point of minimum from the point of almost maximum. He is going to be a medical doctor in the future and isn't rich enough for a good school, so he needs good grades to get it. These tests are only a few, he might get 1 mark less in the semester of which he will have to send his grades to the university, if he will start thinking again. If he won't - he might end up with very bad grades.

Additional information about him:
He has never had a girlfriend, never even hugged a girl except for school exercises, same with holding hands. At least he says so and I believe him, it'd be pointless to lie about such things. Boys thinks it's cool, don't they? :p

My question: Could this relationship work? They haven't met, she haven't even seen his photo, she loves her, he doesn't tell her that, she doesn't tell anything to him, but he says that he thinks that she does like him which is a subjective opinion...
The thing is that I want him to be happy but I also want him to have future. He is my best friend and I don't want a friend who might become a homeless guy (not literally speaking) in a few months... So I'd like to help him help himself, because he doesn't accept help from others, except he absorbs the information you tell him and tries to help himself if he sees it fit.

Sorry for the long post, hope it wasn't too boring to read it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.