More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've just installed IE9 RC on my desktop.

So far, it seems great. I wasn't sure about the stripped-down browser images I had seen because I like my Google Toolbar and Favorites bar with frequently accessed sites.

My fears about losing those features were, hoeever, unfounded.

By default, none of the toolbars were enabled and the bottom status bar was missing. However, right-clicking on the top of IE gives you the easy option of enabling some or all of the features.

The fonts are much easier to read for some reason in IE9. All of my customary sites seem to look much as they did in IE8 and the pages do seem to load a bit zippier.

So far: :up:

Retired

Did you install the release candidate or the final version?

Are you saying that the Favorites Bar and Google Toolbar can continue to be operational, if desired and will import the settings that were previously used in the IE8 installation?

Does IE9 install over IE8, or is it necessary to uninstall IE8?

The fonts are much easier to read for some reason in IE9

Is it because the fonts are larger or that you are sitting closer to the screen?:lol:

You may find the following discussion of interest (Compuserve IE Support Forum)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Did you install the release candidate or the final version?

The RC version.

Are you saying that the Favorites Bar and Google Toolbar can continue to be operational, if desired and will import the settings that were previously used in the IE8 installation?

Yes.

Does IE9 install over IE8, or is it necessary to uninstall IE8?

It installs over IE8 and allows you to install and return to IE8 if you're unhappy with the results.

Is it because the fonts are larger or that you are sitting closer to the screen?:lol:

I don't know how to explain it. They're not larger (at least I don't think so) but the text is rendered in a way that makes it easier to read for some reason. It's just clearer in some way.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Microsoft To Launch IE9 March 14

A More Beautiful Web Launches on March 14th
Windows Team Blog
March 9, 2010

Exactly twelve months from the first Platform Preview of IE9, on Monday March 14th we will celebrate the developers and designers who are making a more beautiful web for all of us. We will release the final version of Internet Explorer 9 for download beginning at 9 p.m. Pacific.

Retired

Monday March 14th we will celebrate the developers and designers who are making a more beautiful web for all of us

:congrats::thewave::beer2:

How is the introduction of IE9 going to affect current web content for compatibility?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
As with IE8, IE9 includes compatibility mode. Web sites can include a tag forcing compatibility mode if they wish. Otherwise, as with IE8 Microsoft maintains a databse of incompatible sites and you can add troublesome sites to your personal list of sites requiringb compatibility mode.

What compatibility mode does, for those interested in the technology, is force the browser to render the web page according to the DOCTYPE declaration on the page, which specifies which set of standards should be used.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.