More threads by Cindy

Cindy

Why would my psychiatrist prescribe desvenlafaxine when I’m already taking buspar? Isn’t this dangerous?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Why would my psychiatrist prescribe desvenlafaxine when I’m already taking buspar? Isn’t this dangerous?

No. Not dangerous. Totally different class of medications.

Buspar is primarily used as a treatment for anxiety.

Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) is an SNRI used to treat both anxiety and depression.

They can be safely used in combination.

Cindy

No. Not dangerous. Totally different class of medications.

Buspar is primarily used as a treatment for anxiety.

Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) is an SNRI used to treat both anxiety and depression.

They can be safely used in combination.

I found this statement while doing my own research on this drug for side effects that I was experiencing:

- [ ] From mayoclinic.org: Do not use desvenlafaxine with buspirone (Buspar®)
So if it’s safe why would they state that? I’m confused.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The concern involves a rare but serious condition called serotonin syndrome. This is not specific to the combination of Buspar and Pristiq but is a possible though unlikely condition of any two medications which both result in an increase in serotonin levels. That said, thousands and probably millions of people are prescribed combinations of medications that both act on serotonin with no ill effects. The risk is dependent on the doses of the two drugs. Sometimes, rather than increase the dose of one of the medications to a point where the side-effects might become intolerable, a second medication might be added that does not usually have those side-effects. In other cases, like the case of Buspar and Pristiq, it may be that the second medication boosts the treatment of one symptom (anxiety) but also adds treatment for a secondary or additional issue (depression).

The reality is that (1) although serotonin syndrome is a real thing, it is also a rare thing (I haven't personally ever heard of someone actually having serotonin syndrome); and (2) where it may be a concern, the risk is minimized by using doses of the two drugs which reduce the risk for serotonin syndrome even more. But note that this is why you should always follow directions for taking any medications to the letter and why you should never exceed the doses your doctor has ordered.

Here's what various sites say about this combination of medications. Note that the first two report no interactions, which is because the risk for serotonin syndrome is so low:

From https://healthtools.aarp.org/drug-interactions

Desvenlafaxine, buspirone

0 interactions found for the drugs you entered. This does not mean no interactions exist, however. Please consult a healthcare professional if you have health concerns.

From buspirone oral and desvenlafaxine oral Drug Interactions - RxList

UNABLE TO DISPLAY ANY INTERACTIONS AT THIS TIME

From Desvenlafaxine (Oral Route) Precautions - Mayo Clinic

Desvenlafaxine may cause a serious condition called serotonin syndrome if taken together with some medicines. Do not use desvenlafaxine with buspirone (Buspar®), fentanyl (Abstral®, Duragesic®), lithium (Eskalith®, Lithobid®), tryptophan, St. John's wort, amphetamines, or some pain or migraine medicines (eg, rizatriptan, sumatriptan, tramadol, Frova®, Imitrex®, Maxalt®, Relpax®, Ultram®, Zomig®). Check with your doctor first before using any other medicines with desvenlafaxine.

From BuSpar and Pristiq Drug Interactions - Drugs.com

Using busPIRone together with desvenlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.