More threads by NicNak

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
It's cold and flu season. :sob:

Please ask your Pharmacist before taking any over the counter cold or flu medicines. I know when I have went, there has been many that due to my medication I should not take, please don't assume they are safe for us since they are over the counter.

Ofcourse it is a good idea with any over the counter medicine too.

Retired

ask your Pharmacist before taking any over the counter cold or flu medicines

Excellent advice!

:2thumbs:

Many psychotroppic medications (such as antidepressants and tranquilizers) interact in the liver with anti-histamines and with anti-tussives (such as dextromethorphan).

These interactions either delay the elimination of the psychotropic drug, causing a build up in the bloodstream resulting in unexpected side effects, or the interaction can diminish the effectiveness of the psychotropic drug.

In addition to your pharmacist, check with your doctor, and use the online medication interaction checkers as a first line resource.

More on the subject of drug interactions canbe found HERE

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Thanks for adding the useful information and those wonderful links! TSOW :D

I just remember when going to the Pharmacy with a cold, many look at me scared to advise me on things. One was very knowledgable and told me "this one and this one ONLY".

Another thing I ment to add to the original post was that a lot of the labels look the same. So care should be taken to insure that after you have been given the go ahead for a cold medicine, if you go to get more take caution to get the right one again. They may look the same, but they are not all the same. Pay attention the the writing and discription on the label

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.