More threads by amastie

amastie

Hi,

there?s nothing anyone can do. I just need to acknowledge my grief.

Today, my auntie died. She was a very good person, quick to help others, loved life, was brave and adventurous, a good friend and sister-in-law to my mother. She was the first wife of my mother?s brother but always considered mum and our family as hers.

My sadness today isn?t so much even because she has died, though of course that saddens me very much. It?s more because, like so many members of my family, my own psychiatric illness over many years alienated me from them. Kind, well-meaning in every way, it was difficult to be with me, very hard to be comfortable with me. I acted out too much, too emotionally inconsistent in my dealings. Especially with family.

I never got over an abuse that happened to me as a child. I never left behind that child, and I created an inner reality that helped to protect her. In the process, my behaviour *did* become inconsistent and too often childlike, even in late middle age. This auntie?s world fell between good and not good, sure and ?leave it alone?. She tried very hard at time to include me. She did so out of kindness and familial loyalty, but we never could get the pieces together. I could not support her when she developed cancer. I *wanted* to. I tried to. I went to our family get-together and spoke as an adult in the company of other family, yet her discomfort was by now part of the context of our relating. I felt so sorry, *so* sorry, yet I could do nothing to heal it. Certainly not now as she embarked on her last round of chemo and radiation.

I?m so sorry not to be present for others and I find it hard to overcome the feeling that I have no value because I cannot be. I rang two friends who share my Spiritualist belief. If I cannot be present for her in life, I want to make sure that I rally as much support for her as I can in her death.

One friend whom I rang said that ?You cannot be there for everyone.? It?s true. I can see that some people feel that I am there for them. I just wish my family were among them.

amastie

i am sorry for your loss. she sounds like a very kind and loving person.

i think being there for her in death would be very healing to you. you can rebuild your relationship with her and talk to her and let her know how much she meant to you and how you feel about how things turned out.

have you ever been in treatment for your illness?

Sparrow

Sorry to hear of your loss Amastie,

I have always found a family members dying to be a slippery time for me.
Remember to take care of yourself in more ways than one and not to spread yourself too thin. Keep an even keel Amastie.

Amastie , thinking of you during this time of grief .
i think being there for her in death would be very healing to you. you can rebuild your relationship with her and talk to her and let her know how much she meant to you and how you feel about how things turned out.

I agree with Into the light , it is healing at times to actualy write a letter to a person we have lost . Expressing all the thoughts and affection we have for them , but had no way to say during their lives .
:support:
take care
white page

amastie

Thank you all for your kind words.

Into The Light:
I wasn't with her when she died. She needed to have only her immediate family with her, but yes, you are right, I can now talk to her in my mind, wherever she is, and heal the awkwardness and misunderstanding that existed between us. That comforts me.

Yes, I am having therapy - both an excellent psychiatrist and an equally good, but different, counsellor. I?ve had treatment for many years.

Sparrow:
Thank you. I?ve also learned that my beloved dog has signs of Cushings Disease (on top of his heart murmur). The Cushings needs still to be confirmed. But, either way, they are both at the early stage. It?s a matter of having more tests to determine what?s best to do. As the vet said, it could have been a worse outcome than Cushings. At present, he?s just drinking very much. Toby is nearly 12 and both heart murmur and Cushings are quite common in terrier breeds.

White Page:
Yes. that?s so true :)

Turtle:
Thank you :)

sister-ray:
Thank you also for your kinds thoughts :)

For now,

Hugs al round,

amastie

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.