More threads by waif

wren

Hi Waif,
first off let me just say I'm so sorry for some of the things you have been through, especially with regards to your sister. I imagine it's shaken you up and probably left you confused, and possibly scared and isolated. The worst thing is probably not only that it happened, but that it's the elephant in the room: the thing that no one wants to talk about, but everyone knows is there.
Waif, I urge you to talk to a psychologist for that reason alone. You might not even know how much this is affecting your day to day life unconciously.

With regards to your girlfriend, I do have to say that upon further consideration, I agree with Ade.

Don't do anything rash, especially if this has more to do with a depressive episode. A lot of things (and people) look worse in the midst of one. With counselling it's possible you may be able to distinguish which is which. If you find that you feel better, have made significant progress, but the relationship still feels far gone, you'll know it's not just the emotional difficulties you're facing. But I guess I wanted to warn you against simply hanging on until you have an "out" (ie. you meet someone better) and then leave. That's a much more painful way to break up for your girlfriend, and the girl you end up with as a result may be questionable - after all, she'd have begun persuing you knowing you were attached already.

It's true that feelings of love often do resurface if they were strong to begin with, provided you wait out the rough periods. A lot of couples who have been married for over 40 years will tell you that. Once you're commited, you decide to have faith that the love is there, and that it will come back around.
I used my case as an example, but the reality was that I had reservations from the start, which I later accepted as I went along in our relationship. If you did not have these reservations, it may not be as wise to take the course of action I did.

However, I do worry, for your girlfriend's sake, whether you will be present enough to show the consideration necessary of a romantic relationship. If she waits this out with you and it is indeed just a phase, make an effort to remember what it is that drew you to her in the first place, and act kindly, even if it's hard. You don't need to shower her with roses but remember, she is standing by you. Be appreciative, if you can. Hugs always help.

I can definately relate, waif, and yours is by no means an easy situation. I also relate with your possibly occasional reservations that maybe you can handle this, and that it isn't that bad that you'd need to seek help. There's a tendancy to feel ridiculous asking for an unbiased perspective when you're functioning in some areas quite well. We think that people with mental illnesses, disorders or even emotional difficulties requiring a psychologist are farther gone, or are doing really drastic things like the people on A and E's Intervention show - when often times they only choose the most extreme cases for entertainment value. People fall all over the spectrum. My parents still refer to people with mental illness as "nutsy", fully aware that I see a psychologist and take medication. They explain my issues to themselves in a different way somehow. It's like there's a disconnect - you expect the people not to be those you work with or have fun with, but a more extreme caricature. But they ARE the people you work with. They may even be your manager who seems the picture of happiness. It's nearly impossible to tell sometimes and people with issues can be very successful in other areas of life.

Your social anxiety alone would be worth visiting for, let alone the issues within your family. If ANY area of your life is suffering, it's worth it. Sometimes you even just accept being chronically unenthusiastic as a way of life, not knowing it could be dysthimia, a more minor and long lasting form of depression. Don't assume that life always has to be that difficult and unrewarding.
I say this simply because I had been having difficulties since I was about 11 but often had it explained away. I figured that since I managed to function fairly well in some areas, it wasn't worth going for help. It wasn't THAT bad. But like most things you don't deal with, it gets worse the longer it has a chance to fester.
In hindsight I'd accepted, and I suspect you might be accepting, certain standards of living that I didn't have to accept as just "being me".

It's said that often the healthiest member of a family with problems ends up in the psychologists chair. Remember that. Having the ability to step back and recognize that something is off shows a great deal of ability to reflect and assess the situation in a rational manner. I think you would really benefit from talking to someone you feel comfortable with.
In the meantime, we're always here to listen! :D
Take care, waif!

justhere

I know that many other have already written thoughtful replies, but I wanted to share my insight with you that "Talk Therapy" works! You reached out here, and it may take many inquiries and phone calls, but being paired with a good therapist/psychologist whether it is one whos recommended by your doctor, friend, whomever, it helps so much to get things out and to be honest and present while doing so. Took me years to figure that part out. I love to do the homework in between sessions too, very helpful. Cognitve Behavioral Therapy workbooks. As you can see, youre not alone!

songbird

Waif,

That's great news, that you talked with your sister! I'm really sorry to learn about your sisters assault. There were tragedies that occurred in my family growing up that my mom just swept under the carpet and was never brought up or discussed. Later in life, realizing how wrong this was, as an adult I made it a point to talk to my siblings just to say, I'm sorry I didn't break the code of silence, I didn't know what to do or say, it was wrong that it was swept under the carpet and that you didn't have the emotional support needed at the time. I'm here now if you need to talk about it.

Just a thought, if you haven't already done that.

Songbird

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thankyou songbird for your reply, it means a lot to me I don’t know if I should say but it made me cry. It sounds like you had a tougher time than me. I’m glad you have your boyfriend. Reading your experience has helped me understand my own situation a little better and it does make me want to get help.

I’ve been hiding my problems for so long now that I can easily pretend they don’t exist to meet me you really wouldn’t know I’m the person on this thread. I feel like I’m living a lie pretending to be the person I want to be (perhaps a person I could be)

Every now and again something happens and it all comes to the surface. Something specific has happened to me recently which has made me want to fix myself so I can have a happy future. That aside I’ve been looking after myself and in a way I feel stronger than ever (physically and professionally.) I think this has given me the willpower to make a start - This thread is the first time I have ever reached out for help.

One of the ways I have been coping with my problem is through obsessive behaviours – working every hour available, collecting stuff I don’t need - I have boxes and boxes of things I wanted as a child (I’ve tried to get rid of them but I find it difficult), and there are other things I don’t need to mention.

Today I tried to call my sister and ask her if she feels anything like I do but I couldn’t do it. Maybe I could ask her in an email. I hope I never have to speak to my mother about this – I don’t think I could ever do that.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

Hi Waif,

I've been a little quiet lately but I've read every word you've written on this thread. When I read your thoughts, I feel as though someone has crawled into my head and put them in black and white, here.

Like you, I've used work to avoid "living". I'm not necessarily shy per se. But I'm darn good at putting on a show for everyone - making them laugh etc. At work, I'm known for my constant smiles. Even though on the inside, that isn't even close to how I feel. Haven't really felt for years now.

I've recently narrowed it down - 20 years. That's how long I've been floating instead of living a life. I find it difficult to let people into my real life. For the past 20 years, any romantic relationship I've had have been with people that I knew weren't great suitors - it was safer that way. I didn't have to get too attached and I wouldn't care when it ended. It worked to a tee. Eventually, I just stopped dating because frankly, that too takes energy.

The irony is that it takes far greater energy to 'put on a show' than it does to figure out who we are and just be that person.

I've been very sad as of late because of this "20 years wasted" idea that I have in my head. And of course, my greater fear - will I waste another 20 or 30 years just floating around? Or, can I now garner enough strength to sort out those issues that I know that I have, maybe get out there and start living life again?

It's easy to escape life by working ridiculous hours. And it may serve you well - promotions before any of your peers, recommendations for unique career opportunities.

So here's the question: when all of those good things happen at work, who do we share it with if we're not willing to allow anyone into our lives?

I've been seeing a psychologist for a little while now. She gave me the most insightful conversation today about this notion of "wasted" time. We can get knowledge from it. We can move forward and change some of those patterns that we've created all of our lives to protect ourselves, to not feel hurt or vulnerable. And maybe, all of those moments that we create from here on end will be moments that we cherish even more because we know where we're coming from.

I hope that you're able to work on some of those issues Waif. And more importantly, I hope that you find a life that makes you happy enough to actually stay away from the workplace on weekends. :)

justhere

very insightful and interesting post from Jazzey. Jazzey, I feel very similar @ 20 years or so, wasted. I avoid intimacy yet yearn to find it, but fear it! and on and on, no close relationships or friendships. How did you work through your "stuff?" Are you more open to letting another one see you, the real you? without panic, I am very curious. Its like the post was meant for me, I know, it sounds so corny but it opened my eyes for some reason..to look within myself rather than blame the world for not understanding me. I put up roadblocks? who knew!:(

Jazzey

Account Closed
Thanks Justthere, that means a lot to me.

I'm actually just working through my *stuff* now. :) Essentially, I'm trying to get back to a place where I like myself enough to not be scared to be hurt. For me, that entails making a list of all the things that were really important to me way back when. For instance, I felt at my best when I was competing in running competitions. While this was quite a while ago, I can still dip into why it was that I felt good about this. Besides the sense of accomplishment, there was also an element of sociability.

I don't know if this makes any sense JT. As I said, I'm really at the beginning of all of this. And I think that my understanding of all of it really is part of the progress.

Again, thank you and I hope that you can find your path too. :)

justhere

You make such sense to me. I envy your convictions. I was just telling someone that I want to join a group for two benefits: tackle my food-comfort addiction and at the same time, be sociable/socialable? lol<----what on earth :lol:

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

I just tried to edit that and lost it:confused: I wrote that it dawned on me too that when I was working, I felt a sense of purpose and pride, I learned the ropes on my own and became quite proficient at my job, being rewarded with salary increases and bonuses. Also, I was known by name in a town and ran into people that I knew and knew my name on the way to work and after work. Even though I came home to an empty apartment which was very lonely, I got social stimulation during the day. Now that I am not working, I dont have any of that and I dont live in that part of town any more.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I think joining a group would be a great idea JT. Think of your interests or something that you would like to learn. New sessions tend to start in August or September, so you even have a bit of time to get used to the idea. :)

KDAshley

The more I read on your life experiences, I am blown away with how much you remind me of myself! I had both parents until I was 18...what everyone saw as, THE PERFECT FAMILY!" I guess you can say...I was spoiled to an extent. I managed good grades throughout my school days ending in 1996 when I graduated high school.
It was all down hill after that. My mother tells me that my hard working father was having an affair. It is so weird how physically my dad was there, however he was never involved in anything I did unless it had to do with punishment for something I had done wrong. This man who I saw as a father ended up divorcing my beautiful mother and never contacting his so called,"DADDY'S GIRL" for over 10years. I needed a father figure at that point of my life. What ended up happening was...I started looking for a mate who I could look up to in a father sort of way. Whenever it came time for breakups with any of the men in my past, it always ended up being a long drawn out process because I didn't know how to let go.
I must say that I experienced a similar situation with a loved one who stuck by me through the happiest moments and the nastiest. This love of mine offered me a beautiful promising life and I destroyed it! Reason being....I started to not be as sexually attracted to him as I once was. I was going through a phase where I wanted to be with my friends out mingling when I probably should have been at home with him. The only reason he was being such a home body was because he was going through a drug program and was doing it the right way. Going to bars could have caused a relapse and that wasn't something he was willing to chance. He was the person other than my mother that I could talk to about anything! It is so hard to meet people these days and be able to trust that your business stays between just the two of you.

My advice to you regarding your supporting girlfriend/friend is...do not by any means burn your bridges with her!!! People like that are so hard to come by. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made in my 31 years of life was messing up the bond I had with that one love. Women like us who fear being alone need to keep the people who believe in us close.

Now as far as your mother and how she doubted you....I can relate to that also. For instance...I have always been active in hip-hop, jazz, modern & street dancing. My mother never believed that I could go anywhere with it. Anytime I explained an audition to her all she would say is,"Thats good....let me know how it goes." If I never brought the audition up again....she wouldn't either. I just recently got a gig with an upcoming r&b/hip-hop artist here in California. Who would have thought I'd be 31 and just getting a real opportunity to tour w/someone as a lead background dancer? Now, I hear,"Aren't you a little old for that?" More times than not I feel discouraged and unmotivated. (I am someone who tends to care to some extent of what people have to say!)

Real love will come around when you are least expecting it! I promise you this. I only speak off of what I have lived and learned for myself. I not only think this is the best way....but the only way to learn about life, love and strong relationships. I thought I would have been married with at least one child at this point of my life and still to the moment I haven't found "THE ONE."

I don't know how difficult it was for you to be independent ....I do know that when anybody else needs help, guidance or advice with their life struggles....I seem to be on the $$$$ with advice! When it comes to fixing my own issues, I just do not know where to begin. I seem to get as far thinking of ways to make my struggle easier, however when it comes time for me to take ACTION............................it never seems to happen. I look forward to hearing more from you, {in a reply to this discussion thread}!:coffee:

Last edited by a moderator:

waif

Hi again,

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the posts and advice.

Unfortunately I haven?t made an appointment yet though I?ve spoken to my doctor about getting mental health support and he has given me some advice on where to go for help. Well it?s a start I suppose??

I think my sister was pretty shocked to find out how I felt ? shes been really good calling me regularly to find out how I am and we?ve been meeting up a bit when we have the time.

I have now split up with my girlfriend and although I?ve lost a girlfriend it feels like I?ve gained a friend. I?m sure it was the right thing to do for both of us as at first it felt like a huge weight has been lifted from me (I don?t mean that in a bad way). We are still talking and good friends and she says she is there for me when I need her. She gives me so much sensible advice and is so understanding it?s hard to believe.

I?m feeling very hollow at the moment like something is missing from my life and I just don?t know what it is. I said don?t feel love or in love for anybody and I thought that?s what I was missing but now I think I?m not sure. I?m really not happy with who I am so I either have to change to try and be who I want to be or except who I am. Both options seem impossible.

I have sudden periods when I mentally change and all my despair comes to the surface. This is the latest one which started a few weeks before I first posted here and it?s still ongoing. I had one in December last year which lasted about a month. My ex asked me what had triggered them and I said ?I don?t know? (I seem to be saying that a lot.) However the more I?ve thought about it more clear it was I knew I was lying. I do know what triggered them ? this will sound stupid but it was meeting and developing an intense crush on girls that I had met.

I think I thought this meant I wanted to be with somebody other than my ex. Though it?s probably just another obsessive behaviour that is cause my problems earlier down the line. I?m right in thinking a crush is just lust?? Right? So it doesn?t actually mean anything. I don?t know. I really don?t understand love and I don?t know if I?ve ever felt it.

I really don?t know where I?m at.

Jazzey

Account Closed
I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling waif. But I'm happy to hear from you again. :)

I’m right in thinking a crush is just lust?? Right?

For me, not necessarily. My crush usually stem from getting to know someone, seeing something in them that I find attractive in terms of their personality. And sometimes, I can admire physical attractiveness - but that's all it is. I admire that particular person but without feeling that it's a crush because I know that I wouldn't pursue the person.

For me, it's the personality that makes someone really attractive. And sometimes, a crush is just a crush - meaning that I don't want to pursue that person, but I can still have a slight crush on who they are. Other crushes sometimes make me want to pursue a person. For me, it's never quite simple....

Sorry, I probably complicated your question. :eek:

Hi waif,
There is nothing useful I can add,I can truly relate about the need to talk with folk who are ready to listen and understand .

I only wanted you to know that I have been reading your posts and I send you warm thoughts and wishes :)

waif

Wow Jazzey, - That was a speedy reply! Have you been waiting for me? :lol:
Thanks for the previous post btw.

I guess your right - a crush is not that simple. I didn't think that through but I'm so confused by my emotions and lack of them. When somebody says they're 'in-love' that is usually in the early part of the relationship?? That is all I can associate with love but that fades and then there's nothing for me.

I shouldn't get bogged down with this. I've got to the point where I'm obsessively analysing everything I do, why I'm doing it, whether it's right or wrong, whether it's an obsession... etc, etc

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.