More threads by Retired

Retired

I've been using using Malwarebytes to protect my systems from Malware for some time, and recently noticed their new product (Free version & Paid Premium version) to shield the browser and other utilities and programs against intrusions.

Anyone have experience or opinions on the effectiveness or necessity of this level of protection?

Quoted from their webpage:

Popular software programs contain millions of lines of code. Bad guys exploit flaws (vulnerabilities) in the code to deliver malware. Except when they can't. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit wraps four layers of security around popular browsers, preventing exploits from compromising vulnerable code. Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium goes one step further, shielding your browser and other popular applications. It?s your best protection against new ransomware.

MB Exp.jpg

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my real time scanner.

I have Malwarebytes Free version (antivirus) installed but only use it on demand. I periodically run that as extra insurance.

This new browser looks like something different though. Are you running it along side another real time antivirus program?

Retired

David,

I began using Avast Free antivirus about a year ago, which I find to be more effective than MS Security Essentials. Avast picks up things that MSE does not, and when configured correctly, works in the background unobtrusively. Avast Free will occasionally present a discreet pop up in systray inviting you to upgrade to the paid version, but the paid version offers little that is worth paying for.

If you want to try Avast Free, use this referrer link. It gives me credits toward getting one paid license. You can get your own referrer link once you've registered your own free version.

The free version requires a few settings adjustments, especially the one to turn off the pesky voice notifications, and the ad in your outgoing email.

In addition, I use Malwarebytes as a second layer of protection for, well, malware...and it has detected an occasional potential intruder. I used to get a false positive for Skype, but I that has been resolved.

Malwarebytes Anti Exploit is an extension that runs in the background with almost any browser....they list them on the webpage or during the installation. It is not another browser, but works in conjunction with your favorite browser(s).

Once installed, you can test if it's working correctly.

I wasn't sure about Anti Exploit until I watched the persuasive video, and thought this would add another layer of needed protection. The license is $25 for three computers, and right now, I think it's worth the money....especially after reading the latest Windows Secrets report on ransomware.

What impressed me most was the potential threat from MS Word, PDF, Excel and PPT documents that can be made to contain malicious executable files....recalling that phishing email we recently received under the guise of Efax, that appeared to be using a malicious Word document.

I try to be vigilant and diligent, but despite my best efforts, the bad guys are getting more and more devious.

Steve

Retired

I forgot to mention that with Avast, if you install it on a secondary computer, or a computer of someone whose system you monitor and maintain, if Avast detects a virus threat, it can be configured to send you an email notification of the threat. Useful when you are helping to maintain the system of an inexperienced user.

Steve

Retired

I liked MSE also for a long time, until support for XP came to an end. I had to find an alternative for the systems of a few friends whose computers I maintain, so after checking out a few options, I chose Avast Free. Surprisingly on the first scan, it picked up files that were never flagged by MSE.

When I tried it on other systems, Win 7 and Win 8, I had similar experiences.

For now, for the reasons I mentioned, especially to be able to be alerted when one of those systems is threatened, I like to use Avast Free...until something better comes along..:)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.