More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Absolutely, Daniel.

The number one rule for this forum is and always has been to create a SAFE, ENCOURAGING, SUPPORTIVE, and HELPFUL community for its members.

As I have said many times, there is a place for academic or theoretical or even philosophical debates about mental health, mental health practitioners, and approaches to treatment. It's just not here, because that is NOT why this forum was created.

ThatLady

I must take issue with the comment about "inconsequential venting about personal issues". People need a place to vent, and to discuss their personal issues in a non-judgemental venue. Whether that venting is "inconsequential", or not, can only be addressed by the ventor him/herself. Sometimes, we have to step back and realize that it's not all about what "we" may want, or may find interesting or intellectually challenging. Sometimes, it's just about putting out the hand of friendship and sharing to one who needs it, and who will return it a hundred-fold.

I just want to say that for me these forums have been a place where not only do I find comfort and support but new ideas on how to deal w/ issues from professionals like Dr. Baxter and Dr. Dobson, but also from others who have dealt/are dealing w/ the same things that I am dealing w/...I don't really know of too many other places where I can go and discuss SI with a large group of SIers...this has in no way taken the place of my theraphy, but it has been a place that has helped me so many times get from one session to the next and also when it's like midnight here on the East Coast of the US I know that I can post something and pretty much have a reply in a short period of time b/c people all over the world can connect here...People can say what they want about psychology and psychiatry, but I am a true testament that w/out theraphy and places like this I would be six feet under...Thank you for all who positively contribute and help me and everyone else who seeks help here!

Eunoia

These boards are really nothing but sounding boards for people's problems. If we can't have honest and respectful arguments, then what do we have besides a lot of inconsequential venting about personal issues? People who are in real need of mental health professionals should seek out help locally, in person, and not on the net
no matter why this argument or debate started in the first place, I don't think there's any use trying to attack the people who come to these boards. Venting can be therapeutic, someone can offer an objective opinion, and there is more than enough encouraging for the person to seek 'real life' therapeutic help, but this in no way lessesns the value of this board or any other similar site. I don't think people understand that until they have been in a place where all they had was this or where they needed to feel safe to voice their concerns be it here or somewhere else.

These boards have been extremely instrumental for me and my health. These boards are a part of my "recovery" and are just as important as my medication, my therapists and my psycho-educational groups.

I like debate. And I love learning and I love being challenged. However, I became a member of this board to talk about my thoughts and feelings. Doing so has helped me make friends and create a support network that I otherwise wouldn't have had. I can come here anytime - there's no "holiday hours" - it's here 24 hours a day and 7 days per week.

Venting can be very healing - for both the person who is venting AND the person who is reading/listening. I'm not necessarily offended by anything I've read on this particular thread...rather, I just wanted to make it clear that venting on these boards has really helped me and therefore we all can deduct that doing so can be an effective part of one's recovery - regardless of what anyone/journal/article/study says. Even if "These boards are really nothing but sounding boards for people's problems." they work. Sometimes "help" doesn't have to be intricate, complex or even intelligent.

I understand that maybe simple venting may not help you, but please know (and ideally respect) that what works for you may not work for all. And of course, visa versa.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
healthbound said:
These boards have been extremely instrumental for me and my health. These boards are a part of my "recovery" and are just as important as my medication, my therapists and my psycho-educational groups.
What a wonderful post to read, healthbound! Thank you.

In another 4 months (March 25, 2006), we will arrive at the second anniversary of this forum. I thought about whether and how to set up the forum for about two years before I acted on the idea and I must say reading what you've just posted is very gratifying indeed -- it tells me that what I hoped this forum would become has been at least partially achieved. From time to time, like now, I need to remember to thank you and all the other members and moderators who have contributed and who have helped us to achieve those goals.

no...no...thank YOU :)

It was really nice to read that your intention for this board has been partially achieved and that I have been a part of it.

It's true, these boards have been very much a part of my personal development. I know that I can always come here...day or night. I find comfort in that. I also know that I will be able to read about many other people's experiences and that helps me feel less alone. I've been going through one of the most difficult times in my life on these boards and they have been met with kindness, support and genuine interest. I believe there are people here who do care about me and my progress. That matters to me, and I've found it to be incredibly healing.

There really is something to be said for online and peer support. Being able to discuss my issues online helped me to talk about things I might not have discussed otherwise. Also, it allowed me to get feedback and support from lots of different people. I like that I can control (for the most part) my anonymity because some of the issues I deal with are very sensitive. Also, I was still able to maintain a connection with people even though I have been isolating a lot this past year. That was very important to me.

Responding to other people who I relate to has also been very valuable. I really learn a lot from reading other people's posts. It helps me identify some of my own issues as well as know that I'm not the only one with certain challenges. This helps me be less afraid of facing some parts of myself.

Recently I simply posted that I was feeling sad and angry. Then a couple people responded (yourself included) supportively - and I will never forget those particular posts because I felt so relieved and liberated. I know this "process" is simple and maybe not even logical, but it really works for me :)

So thank YOU, Dr Baxter and thank you to comfortzone, ThatLady, Eunoia and Allegro for your continued support.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.