More threads by NakedWombat

I know two people who have recently had an angiogram. One had it through his thigh while my mother had it through her wrist and they both told me that they had to lay still during the procedure and minimal movement afterwards.

This got me thinking on how would people with movement disorders who have involuntary movements cope with such a procedure?

I have both TS and Dystonia which causes different parts of my body to move. There isn't a part of my body that doesn't twitch to my knowledge. All my limbs twitch, jerk, twist and jump. So I wonder people like us would go such a procedure done?

Re: Movement Disorders v Medical Procedures

hi i am sure with these procedures a small amt of moving will not effect outcome like a twitch I think if i was necessary for you to stay absolutely still a sedative could be given ahead of time to relax you or even put you to sleep while procedure is being done also restraints can be used for limbs that have large involuntary movements. there is always a way h ugs

Just as well I don't need one. What made me ask this question is that I don't just do small twitches but good large ones as well. I figure that it would through a sedative but thought it would be an interesting question to ask.

Dragonfly

Global Moderator & Practitioner

Sedatives indeed can be and are used for involuntary motor movements during procedures that require little or no movements (either because the procedure involves a delicate structure - brain surgery where the person needs to be awake - or because movement will produce artifacts that obscure results - ct scans). If the movements involve large muscle groups, then it is likely that meds will be used that block muscles from contracting. So, in effect, the person is temporarily paralyzed. Of course, because the diaphram is a muscle that mechanically drives the lungs, it would also be paralyzed .... meaning that an anaesethiologist would then be needed to support the person's breathing during the procedure. The organizations that monitor, survey and acredit health care institutions would likely say that physical restraints are more restrictive than using meds .... so the meds would be used.

It makes sense. Having two people go through this just got me thinking how they would do this with people who have involuntary movements and people with other movement disorders. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.