More threads by Retired

Retired

How do you type a ? sign..it's not on the keyboard?

ALT 0162 = ?

You can use the Alt codes to type special characters Turn on the Num Lock, hold down the ALT key and type in the number using the numerical keypad of your computer.

There is also a character map on your computer. You can use it as well. Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Character Map

Or...you can just copy and paste ? from this post

? ? ? ? ?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
?

cool, even works on a laptop, that has the right side of the keyboard that has the secondary function as a numeric key pad.

there is a Fn key on my laptop. (inbetween the left Ctrl and Alt key) I pushed that and hit number lock and was able to do this too.

Bonus! :2thumbs:

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I have an old Compaq, it has Windows 2000 at least, I don't use it often though.

This one has fn Vista :mad:

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
IK have to say there's a lot I like about Vista, if you know enough to tweak it a little to get rid of the major annoyances. It looks like Windows 7 has kept the good Vista features and removed most of the annoying ones.

Banned

Banned
I suppose the good thing about being techno-dumb is you don't know the good features from the bad features, so you don't need to worry. As long as my computer turns on, I'm happy.

Retired

David Baxter said:
if you know enough to tweak it a little to get rid of the major annoyances...in Vista

My top complaints with Vista:

1. The reminders to confirm operations such as allowing executable files to run etc.
  2. The removal of the up arrow in the Windows Explorer tool bar to move up the directory tree, rather than back to the previous window (which is not necessarily the same thing)

What are yours?

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I find with every new update, my computer runs slower and slower. When I got this computer, I was running just the minimum requirements to run Vista to start.

I only have Vista basic as well.

I found with previous windows operations I could tweek things a lot easier. With Vista I am finding it is not as friendly to that, it could just be me though :blush: I am not great at adjusting to changes. :) I just recently discovered how to select the updates I want for Vista, it is a right click option to dismiss the updates I do not want. Like Windows Explorer 7, I think it is. I found it slowed my laptop right down, it was horrible, for me.

Although I have to say, I have not been bitten by a virus as of yet. With ME and XP with still running anti-virus I got bitten.

So far Vista with the anti virus has been good that way, which is a big thing. :fool: knock on wood.

Retired

my computer runs slower and slower

Do you perform regular clean up operations, check for programs and processes running in the background, and defragment your hard drive regularly?

Windows always reports that you never need to defragment..this is true in XP and the defrag utility is even less informative in Vista.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I have defraged a few times since getting this computer, but good point about what is running in the background and also what starts up with Windows.

The computer was already installed with Vista when I got it, so you just reminded me, often times there is a lot of accessive "stuff" that comes with the brand of the computer that starts with windows that isn't necessary.

Thanks again Steve. I will go through that to see.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.