More threads by webmistress003

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct location, so please forgive me if it is misplaced.

I'm an author currently conducting research for a story, and I can't seem to find a name for a specific condition. I suspect it's my failing memory, and was hoping some resident medical professional could point me in the right direction if at all possible.

The symptoms are reverse stimuli reactions. IE. Pain causes pleasure, pleasure causes pain. The subject's mind somehow crosses the two, and positive physical stimuli causes a negative reaction. Vice versa and so on.

I have seen it referred to in my past months researching PTSD and Brief Psychotic Disorder, but cannot for the life of me find it again.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I have been hunting for almost a week now to no avail, and fear that I'm using the wrong terminology. All of my stimuli searches come up with the same research exploring the reaction times to negative vs. positive stimuli, but none explore a possible counter-reaction of the two.

Thanks in advance, and again, my apologies if this post is misplaced.

BluMac81

Wow interesting, and I'm sorry I don't have the medical answer either. Though sadism (enjoy giving pain) and masochism (enjoy receiving pain) fit those psycologically, they don't fit the neurological "crossing of wires" you speak of in the medical sense. Keep looking, and let us know what you find out :) Best of luck in your book!

Thanks for the welcome and replies!

Synaesthesia is a very interesting concept, and though it doesn't logistically fit, the overall idea is similar.

I'm resigned to believing it resides somewhere in a dysfunction of the somatosensory cortex. The masochism theory fits well with half of the condition, and I'm wondering if I can't use the popularity of the term to find a more neurological exploration, and thus lead me to it's opposite.

Of course, I'm cringing a little at the thought of doing that search. (Insert nervous and wary laughter here)

I'm also considering turning my research to nociception in hopes of a mention. Perhaps a dysfunction of this process will be more insightful.

Thanks for the help! If any of these (totally over my head) terms are ringing any bells I'd be thankful for a mention, or if I somehow miraculously stumble upon it, I'll be back, spectacles askew.

As an Edit: Allodynia seems to be close to the pleasure is pain, though in this form, it is simply non-painful stimulus, and not specifically positive stimulus.

Lana

I am not familiar with medical terms so much but wanted to add that often, presence of one disorder can bring on another. For example: physical illness brings on depression (serious mental/emotional illness) and one can affect the other, both ways. So during your research, you may want to look for any correlation.

amastie

Hi,
when I read your query I was reminded of an episode of the tv series called "House". You may be aware of it. Made in the US about a doctor who is engaged more in working out what is wrong with patients than in fixing known disorders.

I Googled to find reference to the particular episode in which a patient comes in with what you describe. Here is an excerpt from the following link:

House - Episode Guide: Distractions

"...House doesn't listen and goes into his outer office to hear the team's theories on Adam. He lies on the floor as they come up with an idea that sensory information is getting misinterpreted by the medial forebrain. Good feels bad and bad feels good. .....
... House sees a perfect circular burn on Adam's wrist even though the boy's forearms are not burned. There is also a nicotine stain on his fingers.

House goes out and asks the parents if their son smokes. Doug quickly says that he would kill Adam if he did. House lets them know that Adam does smoke and was trying to quit. The cheap no-smoke meds are also anti-depressants. Adam can be treated and will recover."

I'm sure that this tv show has it's medical advisory team. If you, as a medical person, were to contact the show and ask them what condition they were using as the basis for that particular episode, they would surely tell you.

Hope that helps :)

By the way, welcome to PsychLinks :)

braveheart

I'd say it's something common in survivors of abuse, regardless of what it's named.
When you've been abused, pain becomes 'familiar', and pleasure feels terribly insecure.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.