More threads by river

river

Hi! I have been experiencing depression, anxiety, procrastination, social phobia symptoms for more than 10 years now but I haven't been properly diagnosed. I did go to a psychiatrist once and was told that I have anxiety and was under medication but I didn't get to finish it because I moved here in canada. I'm still experiencing all these debilitating symptoms that hinders me from enjoying life and I'm open to anything necessary to get out of this rut that I am way deep in.

I've seen a lot of things (on the net) that could possibly help me but before actually taking these meds, I want to really know for sure if I really have it or if it's just psychological. Although I doubt it because I think it started when I was a kid. Anyway, I'm planning to ask my family doctor to give me referral to have the neurotransmitter deficiency urine examination but my question is, do you think she'll give me that? Do family doctors refer you to this type of exam or should I just ask her to refer me to a psychiatrist? And also is it free (included in OHIP) or do I have to pay for the exam?

Has anyone here taken this exam before?

Thanks so much!

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Has anyone here taken this exam before?
No, and that's because it would be a waste of time, which is why I have never heard of it being done. For example:

90% of serotonin metabolism is outside the brain, but all the waste goes to urine. Just how are you going to fractionate undifferentiated waste, and imply anything about brain function? They can't even do that from a spinal tap of cerebrospinal fluid.

Re: Urine Test to Measure Neurotransmitter Levels???
To get a proper diagnosis, you would just need to see a psychiatrist or psychologist for an evaluation and have your GP rule out anything physical. Since I haven't seen a GP in a couple years, my new psychiatrist had me undergo blood tests just to rule out thyroid problems (even though I have been tested for that before), B12 deficiency, etc.

For many people, the easiest way to get back into treatment is to be evaluated by a GP (family doctor) and take it from there. Often if not usually, the GP will prescribe something for your symptoms until you can see a psychiatrist.

river

Wow, I didn't know that. And here I thought I found a goldmine with that NT exam... thought it would magically "solve" my problem... :rolleyes: guess not! Oh well I hope she refers me to a psychiatrist that could help me.

Thanks so much for your inputs. I appreciate it. :)

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.