More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
New A&E Series Explores Anxiety Disorders
by A&E Network
Wed, May 13th 2009

A&E explores the world of individuals suffering from extreme anxiety disorders, including Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder and Hoarding, and tells the stories of their struggles to overcome them in the new original nonfiction series Obsessed. The eleven episode, one-hour series debuts Monday, May 25 at 10pm ET/PT.

According to the Anxiety Disorder Association of America, anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the U.S., affecting 40 million adults in the United States age 18 and older. Obsessed examines the lives of everyday people imprisoned by unmanageable, repetitive behaviors and sometimes debilitating fear. The show explores the stories of sufferers as well as the adverse effects their disorder has on their friends and family. Each participant will undergo a highly successful form of cognitive behavioral therapy that exposes themselves to the sources of their greatest anxiety in an attempt to manage their fears.

"The series sheds a light on the vast world of anxiety disorders, while offering those who suffer from these debilitating afflictions a path to recovery," said Robert Sharenow, Senior Vice President, Nonfiction and Alternative Programming, A&E Network and BIO. "Like Intervention, Obsessed takes an honest and unflinching look at a difficult subject, programming that has come to resonate with our viewers and that underscores the essence of our brand."

Each one-hour episode of Obsessed explores two individual cases where the subjects face debilitating extreme anxiety disorders, their struggle and the process of rehabilitation. Whether it is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Hoarding or a variety of phobias, the unscripted series gives viewers a chance to see first-hand how an obsession can radically affect a person's life. Obsessed not only captures the particulars of the condition but sees the subject through the incredible emotion of therapy and one-on-one sessions with one of five therapists: John Tsilimparis, MFT, Karen Pickett, MA, MFT, Shana Doronn, MSW, LCSW, Psy.D, Rebecca L. Gladding, M.D., and Dr. Craig April, Ph.D.

By using cognitive behavioral therapy, each subject is taught how to understand their thought process which contributes to symptoms and how to change thought patterns, manage their anxiety and avoid the debilitating compulsions. The series then revisits each subject after several weeks of treatment to see if the obsession lingers.

In the series opener, Helen, a single mother of three is tormented every day by her OCD as it's making her life a nightmare. Her anxiety was spiked when her father died in a car accident. She has extreme panic attacks while driving and she obsessively puts on her father's bloody clothes from that fatal night. Through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, (CBT) widely described as the most effective treatment for OCD, Helen must face her fears and try to come to terms with her father's death and her inability to drive. Meanwhile, Scott is a germaphobe who doesn't keep a trashcan in his house, doesn't have any pictures on the wall, washes his hands 50 times a day and sleeps on the sofa because it takes him too long to make his bed in the morning. His OCD has caused him to be desperately alone and he must face his fears through CBT in hopes that he can have a successful relationship.

Thanks for your interest in Obsessed. If you have not had a chance to tune in on Monday nights, you can see full episodes online at A&E's website.

The show aims to raise awareness about OCD, anxiety disorders, and similar disorders, and focuses on real people who are suffering and ready to seek treatment. These disorders affect an estimated 40 million adults in the U.S., greatly impacting their daily lives in ways that are not always understood. We would love your thoughts on the show and any suggestions for stories you think would be a good addition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiver

I'd be very interested in seeing an episode concentrate on someone suffering with severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. My guess would be that you've already got one in the works.

ladylore

Account Closed
I'd be very interested in seeing an episode concentrate on someone suffering with severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. My guess would be that you've already got one in the works.

That would be cool indeed.

BTW Fiver - Love the avatar. :D

I watched the episode decribed above yesterday. It's definitely interesting to watch these individuals learn to overcome their fears in therapy... I'll be watching more as they come. :)

Jazzey

Account Closed
I just watched the previews. Thank you Steve. I've already set the DVR to tape it tonight...

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
I think the series is a fantastic idea. It will help other people understand how things can be for folks like us.

I have not watched any of the episodes. Personally I think I might find it all too triggering at the point I am at currently.

I do think it is a wonderful idea and great for others to understand about these conditons and that these patients are able to get this help and learn to cope.

I watched another new episode last night, and I'm still liking the show. A lot has to be left out to make the whole process into a neat one-hour package, but it's still interesting to see how others are working through their issues.

It's also interesting to me-- because I have no personal experience with OCD-- to see that these obsessions and compulsions seem to have a basis in the sorts of thoughts that every person has sometimes... they just become amplified out of proportion and out of control.

seeker

I've watched three episodes of this show, and I really like it. I think that it can give people who have not experienced a mental illness or an anxiety disorder personally, an insight into what it's like, and what the sufferer endures when afflicted with something like this.

Mashka

I don't like the show at all. I sympathize with the people, but I can't help but think that this is only done for ratings. A panel of marketers with minors in psychology sat down at a table and devised a show which people would be attracted to based on the notion that people like seeing other people do strange things. But hey, whatever makes money.

I'm starting to worry along the same lines as Mashka-- not just about this particular show, but about the general fad I'm starting to notice on television. There are suddenly quite a few shows popping up that are based around mental illness. I was thrilled at first to see mental health issues being brought out into the public eye and "normalized," so to speak, but it seems to be taking off pretty quickly into almost a kind of freakshow for the people's entertainment.

I enjoy watching the shows myself because I like to learn more about other people and their own unique struggles, sometimes even getting greater insight into my own feelings and behaviors. Even as I'm watching them, though, I'm aware of the notion that a big percentage of the other people watching are only doing so for cheap thrills, deriving entertainment from others' pain. I'm not sure what to think anymore... Yes, I want these issues brought to the forefront, most definitely. I just don't know how it could be done better, in a way that entertains and informs without turning into the aforementioned freakshow. I guess it's a fine line...

Fiver

I thought the first episode was well-done, and parts of it nearly moved me to tears. But last night's episode seemed irritating and uninteresting at the same time.

Then again, since last night I've felt irritated and uninterested in everything, so what do I know?

Jazzey

Account Closed
I thought last night's episode wasn't all that great either. I tend to agree with Charity and Mashka - while there are some tidbits that I find interesting from a layman's perspective, I'm also concerned the stigmas that could arise. We have the benefit of knowing a little bit more than the general public about mental health issues, thus our presence here. But many people are afraid of mental health issues and its patients. Will this program fuel the stigma that attaches to ocd? Or, can it succeed in showing that it truly is a medical condition requiring medical intervention?...Without offering more stereotypes about the illness...From last night's episode, I'm not sure. Maybe next week's will change my mind?

Mashka

I should've mentioned that im all for mental health issues being brought to the front, but this just seems like the wrong way.

Retired

Are we evaluating this show in the context of the trend for "shock" television programming because of its voyeuristic appeal by depicting unusual behaviour, or because the show attempts to increase awareness by portraying various aspects of OCD that might otherwise lead many people to remain hidden and afraid of seeking help?

After watching the show, and the manner in which these cases are presented, do you feel mental health awareness is being well served?

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.