More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
This is a feature that's a standard part of the Xenforo forum software. It can be useful and I found an add-on that implements it for vBulletin.

It will also be familiar to Facebook users and Twitter users.

The @user tagging mod is designed to increase activity on your forum by allowing members to mention each other in posts when talking about them.

Posting @David Baxter informs me via a notification on the forum and may inform me offline via email when someone has tagged me in a post.

I'm still trying to work out how to configure this correctly.

This is a great way to increase forum activity with no extra admin input required – people will start to mention posts/threads to their friends, which will increase the amount of posting. This is especially useful of forums which have an international contingent (so threads posted in during the night for some of your members don't go overlooked) or forums which have a lot of posts/threads each day – again to make sure that a post a person might want to read doesn't get lost in the crowd.

And in a long or busy thread, it allows you to direct a comment or reply, it allows you to easily direct your reply to a specific poster.

Or you can use is simply to tag an other member who you think would be interested in reading that particular thread. To do this, use the new Tag box above the thread:

tag member.jpg

Currently, member Tags and Mentions are displayed in your member profile:

mentions-tags.jpg

I thought the notifications were supposed to show up somewhere else as well but I'm still playing with the settings.

Try it out! :)

Privacy Note
Member tags are not visible to guests or non-logged in visitors.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.