More threads by kelmom

kelmom

Has anyone tried online therapy (over the phone, chat, e-mail). How did it go? What did you like about it? What did you dislike about it?

I am thinking that I would like to try etherapy but would love to hear feedback from anyone who has tried it. :)

I have tried it three times over the past 15 years. It was primarily via email type exchanges, however with one there was real-time internet chatting as well.

I found it to be very helpful with two out of three therapists – I do not know if it was gender related or just a matter of personality differences, but the one that was not helpful was female.

The positives for me were:
a) the increased anonymity (safety) when discussing suicidal thoughts
b) the absence of time pressure in composing my thoughts and responding to questions (I would email only when I was ready to do so)
c) the reduced humiliation in discussing sensitive matters because I did not have to physically be sitting in front of someone, having them stare at me as I stumbled around trying to speak my thoughts
d) the ease of participating in therapy – I didn’t have to worry about getting to appointments (traffic etc.) or about trying to explain “where” I was going to others (when I didn’t want them to know about the therapy)
e) the increased frequency of interaction with the therapist – in face to face counseling, you typically have only one chance to speak – during the appointment and then you are left isolated, on your own, until the next appointment – with online interactions, it can be more frequent and offer more continuous support – I would rather have the “hour” worth of support spread out a few minutes at a time here and there, rather than in one ‘high pressure to perform on demand’ face-to-face hour
f) the written record of everything that was said – having a transcript that I could review as often as I wanted – versus having to rely on my (poor) memory after face to face counseling sessions
g) the cost was less than traditional face to face counseling

The negatives for me were:
a) the obssessive/compulsiveness in checking for email responses
b) the eventual desire to actually meet the therapist, just to see what they were really like in person – an intense curiosity thing - not at all practical, because doing so would most likely wipe out all the benefits noted above

As with face to face therapy, I think it is wise to do some sort of check on the person’s credentials/reputation (by internet research or emailing others for reference). And I do think you still need to find the right “match” where you can build a therapeutic relationship – one online therapist might be right for one person but not for the next. For me, although less expensive, the online therapy was 100x more helpful than the face to face therapy. In my case, I felt that I got "more" than I paid for.

Just my experiences/thoughts – hope it helps.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Also, the phone may be more advantageous for some people compared to instant messaging:

The FtF [face to face] transcripts had a mean of close to 6,000 words, while the synchronous-chat transcripts had a mean of only 2,000 words. It should not be concluded that the quantity of words equals the quality of service or care, but it cannot be denied that the sheer amount of discourse in an FtF session far exceeds synchronous-chat sessions of the same length.

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/faculty/rochlen/download/PDFs/2005-OnlineCounselingLitReview.pdf

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Buffy55 said:
I found it to be very helpful with two out of three therapists – I do not know if it was gender related or just a matter of personality differences...
That is an excellent point, Buffy. I had thought it was the medium of text communication that was the most limiting factor. But I am beginning to see that, over the long term, other factors can be more important. So given the lower upfront cost of online counseling, the lack of scheduling issues, and an ever-growing selection of online therapy options, it may be easier in some ways to find a therapist who provides a good match.

If had never seen an in-person therapist before or if I was experiencing a major relapse, I would start with in-person therapy and then maybe explore online options as a form of maintenance treatment. But, to your point, there are people who wouldn't go to in-person therapy anyway for financial reasons alone, especially in this economy.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.