More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Ottawa family opens up about mental health
CBC News
Oct 4, 2011

Ian Fisher said when his brother committed suicide 35 years ago, the family tried to cover it up and said he died in a hunting accident. But when his 15-year-old son tried to take his own life earlier this year, he said it was time to speak up.

Fisher and his son Sam gave moving speeches at the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre's funding drive on Tuesday, detailing how close they came to another family tragedy.

Sam Fisher said he has battled depression since he was in grade six, though in outward appearance he seemed a happy and active teen. He said he hit rock bottom last January and took an overdose of pain medication. Afterwards, he realized the mistake he had made.

"I cried a little bit, called my mom and said 'I screwed up,'" he said. "The next thing I remember was being on the downstairs couch and dad waking me up saying come on we got to go to the hospital."

For Ian Fisher, the experience brought back painful memories of his own brother, who committed suicide at the age of 20.

Depression not discussed at school
"We didn't talk about it. The word suicide wasn't mentioned," said the elder Fisher. "As far as everyone was concerned it was a hunting accident. And we kept that quiet."

Sam Fisher said it wasn't until he was later diagnosed that he realized he was battling depression. He said no one at his high school talks about depression.

The father and son decided it was important to try and remove the stigma surrounding depression and suicide and decided to tell their stories to help others.

"Sam said to me once with an undertone of frustration that if he had a tumor or cancer his friends would be holding a bakesale, but because I have a mental illness he says I can't talk about it. That's unbelievably sad," said Ian Fisher.

Early treatment key, says Senators' Alfredsson
They were part of the Royal Ottawa Mental Health Centre's funding drive Tuesday, which aims to raise $25 million for research and treatment. So far $7 million has been donated.

The Ottawa Senators' captain Daniel Alfredsson was also there to support the cause. Alfredsson said the cause is close to him, as his sister struggles with an anxiety disorder and in the past year his NHL family was affected with the suicides of assistant coach Luke Richardson's daughter Daron, and players Wade Belak and Rick Rypien.

"[They] are just another tragic reminder of why we need to remove the stigma," said Alfredsson. "The most important thing is to get the right treatment and the right treatment early, and the only way to do that is if you feel comfortable letting people know," he said.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.