More threads by Xelebes

Xelebes

The last time I saw my psychiatrist, I told her the most likely cause of my "grand" catatonic episodes were the result of me blocking my tics (Tourette's). At the time, it gave an excuse that sounded like it might be true. Now I'm not so sure.

So far there is two probable causes that I know of. The smaller "phasing outs" started when I was in grade 4, which agrees with the possibility that it might be due to some form of PTSD. However grade 4 was also the time when my teacher noticed my tics and told my parents to check for Tourette's. So I don't know which is more probable. My psychiatrists left it to me to decide which was the cause of it and now I'm confused.

I haven't had a grand episode since the time I was doing my neuropsychological tests in March, catching myself in the middle of the blinking letter test. Ever since then, at worst, I've been having smaller episodes that last only a minute at its longest and sometimes I can kick it in and win staring contests (wins me drinks, haha.)

So yeah, I'm confused. Maybe it's not that important?

Jazzey

Account Closed
So yeah, I'm confused. Maybe it's not that important?

It's important if it's bothering you and you'd like the answer. :) But this is something your psychologist or psychiatrist can help you with. But yes, gauging from your post, it's important - because it's important to you. :)

Retired

Xelebes,

Have you ever been seen by a Neurologist, in addition to the Psychiatrist(s) treating you?

If not, you may want to ask for a referral to a Neurologist.

Xelebes

Yes, I did a battery of neurological tests. Apart from some indications that I might have some seizure activity from my neuropsychological tests, nothing showed in my EEG or my CT Scan. Neurogenic causes have been ruled out.

Xelebes

So I've been talking with other people with Asperger's and they report some of the things that happen to me - mainly they explain the small episodes as being a result of inertia. Since my body hasn't been in movement for a while, it is harder to get it moving and it is often harder for those with autism. One of my psychologists did suggest that this all may be due to Asperger's and since I know I have shutdown for over a year now, it has caused me a loss of certain skills and tolerances. The larger episodes are reactions to stress and instead ofmelting down like quite a few others, I shutdown instead. So... I think I have a satisfying answer. But this coming month, I'll guarantee myself a bus pass so I can see the doctor and see if I can confirm anything that's going on.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.