More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Recall issued for Compliments brand chicken strips
CBC News
May 25, 2019

Compliments brand chicken strips linked to salmonella outbreak

cache.php

Compliments brand chicken strips have been recalled due to possible salmonella contamination. (Submitted by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency)A batch of Compliments brand chicken strips is being recalled from the marketplace because of possible salmonella contamination.

The Public Health Agency of Canada is investigating an outbreak of human illness related to the product, says a release from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.

"The outbreak investigation is ongoing and may identify other sources. Consumers should not consume the recalled product," a news release said.

"The following product was sold nationally until May 1, 2019 but some consumers may still have it in their freezer."

Sofina Foods produces the Compliments brand chicken strips for Sobeys.

cache.php

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the Compliments brand chicken strips were sold nationally until May 1, 2019 but some consumers may still have it in their freezer. (Submitted by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency)

Many frozen breaded chicken products currently on the market are raw and therefore may contain salmonella, the CFIA advises.

"These products may appear to be pre-cooked, but they should be handled and prepared with caution," the agency says.

The CFIA warns that food contaminated with salmonella may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick.

People particularly at risk are young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems who could contract serious and sometimes deadly infections.

Common short-term symptoms experienced by healthy people may include fever, headache, vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Long-term complications may include severe arthritis.

GaryQ

MVP
I thought from all the previous warnings that handling them safely and cooking them fully (and properly) kills the salmonella and other nasties that these things can harbor as a Compliment (in this case pun intended)

Am I right or in error? Anybody know for sure?

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I thought from all the previous warnings that handling them safely and cooking them fully (and properly) kills the salmonella and other nasties that these things can harbor as a Compliment (in this case pun intended)

Am I right or in error? Anybody know for sure?

That’s what I understood too but I’m still not going to eat any of the recalled brands.

GaryQ

MVP
That’s what I understood too but I’m still not going to eat any of the recalled brands.

I'd also be afraid to eat a recalled product. But since I do buy frozen chicken nuggets, strips and burgers having read all the recalls and warnings I am way more cautious lately and I leave them a couple minutes more than it says on the box. I'd rather eat em crispy than risky!

Awe, sorry to hear if you got sick from chicken or something else. Hope better now?

Hrmmm... I am pretty sure it was those dang chicken strips!

I could not for the life of me figure out why I was cramping up, etc (it weren’t purty)... At first I thought it might be the antibiotic I’m on, but I was eating before taking it like I was supposed to. So I thought maybe it was something I ate. David has a “quicker” digestive system than I, so his reaction happened maybe 12 hours before mine.

But then he started having issues again when he had another helping. I wasn’t hungry at the time, so I hadn’t eaten any. I guess he had another bout of the whole nasty business...

And then (Thank you, Dr. Baxter) I saw the recall.

Both of us are doing just fine now!Thank goodness!!!

Sent from my Hollycopter using SlappaSquawk

Oh boy. I dunno. This must be a weird strain of salmonella... Last couple of days, every time I eat a meal, I get cramps shortly after... And... Um... The subsequent bolt to the bathroom, etc, etc...

Maybe the Salmonella is just sorta hanging out, getting massages, and then when my digestive system kicks in, it decides to do a blitz??? [emoji848]

Feeling better. Again.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Salmonella infection - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

Salmonella infection is usually caused by eating raw or undercooked meat, poultry, eggs or egg products. The incubation period ranges from several hours to two days. Most salmonella infections can be classified as stomach flu (gastroenteritis). Possible signs and symptoms include:

• Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Diarrhea
  • Fever
  • Chills
  • Headache
  • Blood in the stool
Signs and symptoms of salmonella infection generally last two to seven days. Diarrhea may last up to 10 days, although it may take several months before bowels return to normal.

Salmonella Poisoning (Salmonellosis): Symptoms, Causes, & Treatment - WebMD

Most of the symptoms you’ll have from a salmonella infection will be stomach-related:

Even though most symptoms usually don’t last more than a week, in some cases it can take several months for your bowel movements to get back to normal.

Salmonella infection - Your.MD

Symptoms include diarrhoea, stomach cramps and sometimes vomiting and fever. On average, it takes from 12 to 72 hours for the symptoms to develop after swallowing an infectious dose of salmonella. Symptoms usually last for four to seven days and most people recover without treatment.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
More info on Salmonella:

Call your doctor if you have:

• Diarrhea that doesn’t improve after 2 days
  • Vomiting lasting more than 2 days
  • Signs of dehydration, including little or no urination, excessive thirst, a very dry mouth, dizziness or lightheadedness, or very dark urine
  • Fever higher than 102˚F (39˚C)
  • Bloody stools

Salmonella and Eggs | Features | CDC

Oh boy! Yes, thanks for the extra info. I don’t believe I’m feverish, and I always drink plenty of liquids already - mostly water - to keep down the migraines.

I’ll keep an eye on things and watch how my tummy feels, etc. Definitely will touch base with a doctor if they stick around for more than a week! [emoji106] Much appreciated! [emoji846]

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.