More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Recovery in Ohio
By Chad Wise
NAMI Newsletter
March 8, 2012

To use the word recovery makes more sense than the word "recovered," as the struggle is ongoing...I was diagnosed with ADHD and depression at a later age, 31, although the struggles I had growing up make it clear that symptoms of these illnesses were evident as early as 8 or 9. Keeping jobs and relationships in tact was and continues to be an ongoing battle, but it can be done!

When my wife used to send me to the store to buy milk and bread, it seemed a normal request. However, when I returned from the store with chips, soap and a candy bar, the silliness grew into resentment. "You aren't listening to me" is a powerful phrase in a relationship, and this led to many arguments. Add to that the co-occurring depression and you have a recipe for disaster!

Finally, I met a great psychologist who diagnosed me with ADHD and depression. Medications took a while to work, but I am finally able to live a productive life. I have been the principal of a middle school for 6 years (longest job ever!) and I have learned strategies to help with my inattention. The depression can still be a struggle, especially living in Ohio, one of the least "sunny" weather states in North America! But, when the medications and strategies are working together, each day can finally be productive, even enjoyable.

I would love to share more details of my success story (success is, after all, a relative story!). I created a photo book out of my love for photography and my inability to express my struggles verbally, and it is available through my NAMI Fundraising Page. In any case, the best way to "fight the stigma" is to talk about mental illnesses, to share stories, to encourage one another and to take each day one at a time!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.