More threads by Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

My doc put me on 80mg. Ritalin daily. I take all 80mg. at once in the morning.

Now I thought this stuff was to help you focus and I've heard stories of college kids being able to stay up & cram for tests, etc.

In reality, what kind of effect am I supposed to get from Ritalin? Because 80mg. (4 - 20mg. tablets) does nothing for me.

I was a Vicodin addict but I've been clean for over 4 years. My addiction ran the gamut. At my worst, I took 60, 10/350's a day. And I was awake...I could drive, go to work, and no one knew the wiser. (I kid you not).

Is it possible that because of my super-high intake of opiates that now my body can't absorb some medicines correctly???

About 6 or 7 weeks ago my doc just switched me from 250mg. Zoloft to 80mg. Prozac and I'm not really doing any better on that. I've been taking the Ritalin for about 3 months now. I tried Vyvance but it had no effect on me.

If anyone has had similar experiences or can give me an idea what else to try, let me know. However, I'd rather not take anything that causes weight gain.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm assuming that your doctor prescribed the Ritalin for ADHD (or possibly for depression?).

While people without ADHD experience the effects you describe, those with ADHD have a paradoxical effect... rather than feeling "speeded up", ADHD individuals feel more calm and have an easier time with sustained attention when taking stimulants. This is because of the nature of ADHD.

The fact that you don't feel dramatically different when taking the medication is not uncommon for ADHD and probably a good indication that the medication is appropriately prescribed.

Crazy Cat

I'm assuming that your doctor prescribed the Ritalin for ADHD (or possibly for depression?).

The fact that you don't feel dramatically different when taking the medication is not uncommon for ADHD and probably a good indication that the medication is appropriately prescribed.

David - Thanks for the info. I am taking the Ritalin for ADHD.

I'm a little confused with the last statement you made. Am I safe to assume that what you mean by it is that with me taking the 80mg., and not feeling a "high" or "speed" effect, that the dosage is correct.

However, I may have failed to mention that I can take the 80mg. and sleep all day. I don't have any more clarity in focus either.

Thanks.

Adriane

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
David - Thanks for the info. I am taking the Ritalin for ADHD.

I'm a little confused with the last statement you made. Am I safe to assume that what you mean by it is that with me taking the 80mg., and not feeling a "high" or "speed" effect, that the dosage is correct.

I meant that if I or anyone else without ADHD were to take Ritalin, I would feel like I was "on speed". Since it's not having that effect for you, it means that you are an appropriate candidate for this sort of medication. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best dose (or even the best ADHD medication) for you.

However, I may have failed to mention that I can take the 80mg. and sleep all day. I don't have any more clarity in focus either.

In that case, if it's not helping with attention, you might want to go back to your doctor and let him/her know. Ritalin doesn't work for everyone with ADHD and there are several other medications available that might work better for you.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.