More threads by suewatters1

Hi Everyone I am going for minors surgery in 3 weeks which should take only about 10 minutes if no complications but if there is complication then longer.

About 2 weeks before the surgery you always have to go for blood work. So I worry that the nurse taking the blood work will see SI injury because it's on the only arm where they can get there blood samples and she will make a big fuss which will cause me problems.

Also I wonder if that will affect me having my surgery or will they have to delay it? I figured by then it should be almost healed and if not keep a band aid on it.

Anybody have any similar experiences that they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks

Sue

Atlantean

They may call psychiatric to do a consult with you, but it shouldnt delay or cause any problems with regards to your surgery.

-Regards from a former cutter

I don't know if it will have any consequences regarding the surgery. I can't think why it would. I have had lots and lots of bloodwork done over the past few years and no one ever asked about my injuries. Maybe they won't say anything?

Have you had bloodwork taken there before when you had an injury?

---------- Post added later and automatically merged ----------

Are you seeing someone about this already? If you are then you could just tell them that it's something you're dealing with.

Atlantean

yeah, incidentally when I have had bloodwork done no one has asked about my scars, but I never had any injuries that were fresh at the same time I had bloodwork done.

Its generally the attending physicians that get concerned, not the lab techs

Hi Cat Dancer I just started cutting last fall. I just found a new psychiatrist from out of town. I was wondering because they would want a sterile environment for the surgery room.
Also about the blood work they call you about 2 weeks before and you go to the hospital to get it done and they look like nurses to me that gets the blood work. Then somebody else they puts a medical band on your wrist stating your having surgery in that hospital which you can't take off till after the surgery. Then that Nurse will tell me what I can and cannot do the day of the surgery and what more to expect.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Sue

Halo

Good luck with your surgery Sue. I will be thinking of you in a couple of weeks. I personally don't think that having SI'd will result in a delay in your surgery however I am not a doctor or nurse but have been through my own medical issues recently.

Take care

Thanks Halo.
I was just worried that somebody would get concern and say I was mentally unfit to make a decision about having this surgery and then have it canceled on me.

Sue

Halo

I think that if you are honest with whomever it may be that you are seeing a psychiatrist, he knows about it and together you are working on it then I don't see any reason for anyone to deem you unfit. Simply put....it is a coping mechanism that you are using to deal with overwhelming feelings.

SoSo

Hi Sue,
I have been where you are...no one said anything to me except to ask me if I wanted someone to 'sit' with me. I said thanks but no, would just read and they were fine with that before and after the surgery. No one asked why, etc.

All the best with your surgery,
Feisty

Well everybody I am going for my blood work and to get the information about my surgery on Thursday morning. I have to go to the hospital for that.

Sue

Thanks DR Baxter.
The surgery suppose to last 10 minutes if there is no complication and hopefully after that I will have no more monthly cycles.

Originally the surgery was suppose to be on April 9th well he moved it up to April 2nd. While talking to the lady on the phone she reminded me about my OHIP card needing renewal. Then it sunk in I had my OHIP appointment to renew my Health Card with my Picture for April 2nd so now I will have to remember to reschedule that appointment.

Sue

Hi Everyone went for my pre admission appointment. They asked me lots of questions. Did a test of my heart checked all the medication I am taking and told me which one I can take the day of the surgery.

My anesthetic will be that they will freeze the day of my surgery. But she told me they can give a IV of something to calm me down if I tell them I get Super nervous. So I will say that. Then I stay at the Hospital for about 4 hours before I can go home.

The blood work went fine. My watch covered most of the scares I have and they were more looking at the area that they got the blood from so nobody said a thing.

Sue

When I had surgery in June, I had fresh cuts from my shoulder to my wrist, and they made a huge fuss over it when they were putting in my IV.
It was more hurtful because as I was getting put under I could hear them talking about the cuts, and why I needed to do that.
But it didn't affect having the surgery or getting an IV put in.
Just a few ignorant surgeons and nurses.

Hope your surgery goes well! I don't know what kind of harm you do yourself, but if its any kind of cut/scar, vitamin E cream can work well to heal it faster.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Woah....
Just realized this thread was started in March....hehe...I feel kind of stupid replying now.

Hope your surgery went well!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.