More threads by Daniel E.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Edamame Dearest: 12 Ways to Enjoy Eating Soy
Planet Green, Discovery.com
October 11, 2009
By Mickey

Soy can be put to use in many, many ways, e.g.
But, obviously, the mighty soybean is most popular in its strictly edible form. Whether it be anything from milk to tempeh to coffee, soy is an excellent source of a wide range of nutrients, including: protein, complex carbohydrates, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins and minerals such as calcium, folate, and iron. Soy is also lactose-free, gluten-free, and cholesterol-free and has been found to offer many health benefits, e.g. significant improvements in short-term and long-term memory and in mental flexibility.

This does not mean soy is a cure-all without detractors and nay-sayers so it's crucial to do your best to separate fact from fiction. You can begin, however, by consuming soy (like all foods) in moderation and always choosing soy that is both organic and free of GMOs.

12 Ways to Enjoy Soy

1. Edamame
These are the actual soybeans, still in the pod. Edamame can be eaten raw or boiled. Some newcomers might need an edamame eating tutorial.

2. Tofu
Tofu is soybean curd:

YouTube - Ever wonder how Tofu is made?

Usually available in soft, silken, and firm varieties, tofu has the chameleon-like ability to blend into almost any meal, for example, hempseed crusted tofu . FYI: The term "tofu skins," or yuba refers to the creamy surface film created when soy milk is heated.

3. Tempeh
Made by the controlled fermentation of cooked soybeans, tempeh (unlike tofu and other soy "meats") is a whole food. It can be used as a meat analog in just about any cuisine and it's pretty easy to make your own. Oh, by the way, it's pronounced tem-pay.

4. Miso
A fermented soybean paste with a salty taste and buttery texture, miso is the main ingredient in the ever-popular miso soup. Can also be blended with tahini to create a delicious spread or sauce. FYI: Miso is also produced from rice, barley, or wheat.

5. Soy Sauce
This versatile condiment is made from soybeans that are mixed with roasted grain (usually wheat, rice, or barley) and fermented for several months. Of course, organic soy sauce is your best choice.

6. Soy Nuts
Not literally a nut, the term "soy nut" refers to what you get when you soak soybeans in water and then bake them until crisp and brown.

7. Soy Flour
Soy four is made up of roasted soybeans that are ground into a fine powder and can be used to thicken gravies, make homemade soy milk, or be added to a variety of baked foods. In addition, soy flour is the main ingredient of soy chips and a popular meat substitute, textured vegetable protein (TVP).

8. Soybean Oil
A low saturated fat, zero-cholesterol oil choice made, of course, from soybeans. Use it as you'd use any vegetable oil.

9. Soy Coffee
Not literally coffee, of course, it's the beverage made from soybeans that are roasted then coarsely ground. Tastes similar to coffee...without the caffeine. Those seeking to quit the coffee habit can mix in a little soy coffee at first and then progressively increase that amount over the next week or so until the brew is all soy.

10. Soy Chocolate
A dessert choice with less fat, less caffeine, and less sugar than most. Can be used in soy chocolate chip cookies, soy chocolate milk, soy chocolate bars, and soy chocolate shakes.

11. Soy "Dairy"
There are many good reasons to eschew dairy products, but what can we use to replace them? No problem, soybeans are commonly used to create a soy version of milk, cheese, butter, yogurt, mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, and ice cream. Of course, many of these products require a fair amount of processing so be cautious to consume them in moderation as you keep your diet focused on whole foods. [Daniel's note: My favorite is chocolate soy milk.]

12. Soy "Meat"
The United Nations has told us how the meat-based diet negatively impacts the environment. A step in the right direction is to make the switch to burgers, hot dogs, sausages, bacon, and cold cuts made from soy. Like soy "dairy," these products are processed so choose wisely and keep your eyes on the whole food prize.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From Australia:
...About 60 per cent of all processed foods now contain soy phytoestrogens, says Sheena Lewis, professor of reproductive medicine at Queen’s University Belfast in Northern Ireland.

In Australia, the Australian Food and Grocery Council estimates that soy is in about 50 per cent of foodstuffs. The council expects this figure to rise over the next decade...

“[Soy] is widespread in the food supply and considered to be safe, with the proviso to eat everything in moderation,” spokesperson Lydia Buchtmann says. “It’s a good source of protein, particularly for those who don’t eat meat.”

PROS AND CONS OF SOY

PROS

• A good source of protein, fibre and good fats.
• Low in unsaturated fat.
• Contains B vitamins.
• May slightly lower the risk of breast and prostate cancer in healthy people.
• Might help prevent osteoporosis.

CONS
• High amounts may be harmful to fertility and affect reproductive development.
• It’s a common allergen.
• It doesn’t appear to treat menopause symptoms in most large studies.
• It often appears in a highly processed form in western foods.
• High doses may not be safe for women with breast cancer. The Cancer Council NSW advises women with breast cancer not to increase the amount of soy in their diets.

Are we over the joy of soy? | News.com.au

Domo

Inactive
Looks pretty good to me! Thanks for sharing.

Do you guys have that pre packaged, marinated tofu pieces?

Murray

I have to admit that I actually do like tofu, tempeh, and miso...sorry. I agree with Domo the firm tofu is better. It is great in a stir fry with lots of veggies and even in a light soup.

I hope that it is regulated here in the US. I would assume that it would have to be in order for them to sell it. Sadly, I don't do as much research about what I eat as I probably should.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
Re: In which we discuss soy, peanuts, tofu, tripe, and the price of gas

I'm now learning that fermented soy may be healthier than tofu, e.g.

I feel that it is prudent to eat foods - including soy - in moderation. And I do feel that it's better for human health to eat fermented forms of soy over unfermented varieties.

Is Soy Bad for Your Health? - Fermented vs. Unfermented Soy - Soy Healthy?
Soybeans are boiled and then fermented to make natto, and researchers say that two enzymes formed during this process -- pyrazine and nattokinase -- [may] offer [some] powerful protection against blood clots, including those that lead to heart attack, stroke and deep vein thrombosis.

Unfermented foods, such as tofu, soy milk and soy nuts, also are good sources of protein, but some health experts stress that fermented soy foods, such as natto, miso and tempeh, are safer and healthier alternatives, claiming that fermentation blocks soy components that can interfere with protein digestion and mineral absorption.

Asian Fusion

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
From yesterday's Boston Globe:
Q. Do you have a favorite meal?

A. Oh, yes, I do. I love tofu. I grew up with tofu. It is really wonderful to have plain tofu seasoned with a vegetable-based broth. It’s very simple. Add cilantro, some sliced shitake mushroom, a little soy sauce, especially with the silken tofu. It’s delicious. Add a little sesame oil to top it off. It’s so fast. You can have that dish in 10 minutes.

Lilian Cheung on mindful eating

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.