More threads by John Primo

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I've never heard of it, and looking at it I find it hard to imagine that it would have much validity.

If it is supposed to be helpful in diagnosis, why would you need to repeat it twice in a two week period?

The usual disclaimer: Online tests should always be viewed as entertainment, not self-diagnosis.

ron pies

I would like to take this opportunity to inform readers of this site that the Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale (BSDS)--which I co-developed with Dr. Nassir Ghaemi--has indeed been validated in several different settings. That it happens to have been posted on the Internet should not detract from assessments of its validity. More information about the BSDS is available by going to the website for Psychiatric Times, and clicking on the "Clinical Scales" section.

The original data on validation of the scale is published in:

Sensitivity and Specificity of a New Bipolar Spectrum Diagnostic Scale
By S. Nassir Ghaemi, MD, MPH, et al. J Affect Disord. 2005;84:273-277.

The BSDS has now been translated into Spanish, Persian, and Korean. Initial reports on the Spanish and Korean versions suggest good sensitivity and specificity for bipolar spectrum disorders. Of course, no test instrument by itself should be used to make a clinical diagnosis. All such instruments are merely tools in the comprehensive evaluation of the patient. This requires a careful history from both patient and significant others; a careful mental status exam; as well as ruling out many conditions that may "mimic" a particular psychiatric diagnosis. I hope this information is of help to interested parties. By the way, Dr. Ghaemi and I have endeavored to keep the BSDS in the public domain, and receive no monies from its use.

--Sincerely, Ronald Pies MD

Dr. Pies is Professor of Psychiatry at SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse; and Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Tufts U. School of Medicine in Boston. He is also Editor-in-Chief of Psychiatric Times, and author of Everything Has Two Handles: The Stoic's Guide to the Art of Living.

Last edited by a moderator:

ron pies

Thank you for posting my note, Dr. Baxter, as well as for the link to PT and your kind citation of my little book of poems! Also, thanks to readers who said "hello". ---Best regards, Ron Pies

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
You're welcome, Ron. Incidentally, the links at Psychiatric Times for downloading the scale and the scoring key aren't valid. Just FYI.

ron pies

Hi, David...Hmmmm....I'm puzzled. When I go on to the Psychiatric Times website, and get into the "Clinical Scales" section, it does allow downloading of the BSDS after you register, which is free, and is open to non-clinicians. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. But, in any case, the BSDS and how to score it (which, again, should be part of a comprehensive assessment involving a mental health professional) is easily obtained at many websites, including Dr. Jim Phelps's Psycheducation.org website. --Best regards, Ron

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.