More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
The "Dark Side" of the Internet for Healthcare
by Lisa Neal Gualtieri
April 19, 2010

While Gunther Eysenbachis famous for saying no one ever died from using the Internet for health, the ?dark side? exists: the people who obsessively search for health information, the people who forgo common sense to believe there are easy ways to lose weight and miracle cures for as yet incurable diseases. Another facet is the credibility of online information: I wrote about a company that was caught and fined for fabricating patient stories in Patient Stories on Health Web Sites Can Not Always Be Trusted in both e-patients.net (heavily commented) and MedPage Today?s kevinmd.com.

Another facet of the ?dark side? is when technology is the focus instead of patients. We all, as patients, need eye contact when talking to a healthcare professional. I first noticed this when my children?s pediatrician started walking into appointments with a laptop. I was acutely aware of it when a nurse asked me very personal questions without looking at me, which I wrote about in EHR Etiquette and the Importance of Eye Contact in Clinician-Patient Communication, which was published in e-patients.net and The Health Care Blog.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.