More threads by Eye Stigmata

I'm still trying to figure out why people assume that people who SI are suicidal?
Will they ever truly understand maybe it just feels good to let it all out?
Haven't they heard that quote? "Why do I keep hitting myself with the hammer?...because it feels so good when I stop"

I'm really just curious here - because it seems to me, the only response I've gotten anyways is "You need to see a therapist" or "You need to see a doctor"...I mean from friends and family.

I understand they can be concerned and blah blah, but is there ever going to be an alternate response to people who SI? Can it just be seen as an addiction, such as smoking, drugs, and gambling.
****************, I smoke and my mom doesn't tell me to go see a therpist, smoking should be seen as a form of SI - it does more damage to your body than cutting does....

End of rant....thanks :) Had to get that out

Banned

Banned
Hmmm...good question, MonkeyMunch.

I"m guessing here, but I would suspect most people suggest that someone who SIs see a therapist because it is an unhealthy response to a situation both physically and emotionally. I agree with you that smoking is unhealthy and dangerous as well, but I think there are more immediate risks with SI that are not there with smoking. By that I mean, someone can SI using their given method, but something can also go horribly wrong in that minute and create an outcome they didn't hope for or plan. I think also with SI, we use it as a coping mechanism because our ability to feel on an emotional level is so blocked and guarded. When our ability to feel is that shut down, our judgment and perceptions are also seriously impaired which affects our thinking and decision making. Simply put, we move to thinking and operating out of our limbic system instead of our cortex, and if we stay in the limbic system too long it is never a good thing. So basically, I think SI has a much deeper emotional involvement than smoking does although they are both physically damaging.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.