More threads by [talon]

[talon]

Yes, I know I have posted enough depressed posts on here, but I think the pressure is what makes me insane/
My parents constantly pressure me. They constantly say, "Get out and meet people, You have no friends, You are so anti-social, you just like to sit in the dark in front of the computer. You're going to be alone for the rest of your life, Stop being so childish, when I was young, I was out with lots of friends. Your sister has sooo many friends. Just TALK to people" It makes me feel terrible. I tell them that they don't understand how I feel, how HARD it is for me to talk to people. But they think it's a joke and I'm just being stupid. I can't talk to anyone, In order to do so I have to force myself while having a panic attack (minus the passing out part, the Celexa helps stop that at least.) And it is very difficult. I have explained this in my other posts.

I did try, but people seem to just not like me so I'm starting to give up again

Now I have a couple off-topic questions. Please help.

1. Avoidant Personality Disorder, is it a real disorder, or what? Because I exhibit all the symptoms of it, and yet, I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and am on Celexa. Is there a different medication for Avoidant Personality Disorder, that I should ask my dr about? Anyway, Celexa really does nothing for me so I may have to switch.

2. They say that "pretending you are in a fantasy world" is a symptom of PTSD, but can it also be a symptom of anxiety & depression? 'Cause there was this girl on the forum who was talking about how she made up characters in her head and fell in love with them and stuff, felt like they were real, and people on here were telling her she sounded like she had PTSD, but I am like that too!!!! So what does this mean?

post all you need talon. it's one of the things you can do to help you get through what you're going through.

i just posted this evening in another thread of yours that i think your parents don't understand depression. the way you just described things really confirms it for me.

depression makes a person withdraw from other people. socializing is difficult and for me it became painful to have to interact. i just couldn't deal with it at all at times.

as you start to see a therapist and get help with all of this things will gradually change for the better and you will be able to start socializing again.

for your other questions, we cannot diagnose you online and you would really have to speak with your therapist to find out. it is possible that it's depression that may be causing you to withdraw and isolate yourself from other people and from conflict. but to know for sure you would have to speak with a therapist who would take a history.

i cannot answer your second question, maybe someone else here can.

ladylore

Account Closed
Unfortunately Talon we can't diagnose people over the net. The best thing to do is talk with your GP and talk with a therapist.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
1. Avoidant Personality Disorder, is it a real disorder, or what? Because I exhibit all the symptoms of it, and yet, I have been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder and am on Celexa. Is there a different medication for Avoidant Personality Disorder, that I should ask my dr about? Anyway, Celexa really does nothing for me so I may have to switch.

It is a real disorder but it is really a bad idea to try to self-diagnose based on things you read on the internet. Even if you meet the criteria, there are no medications specifically for personality disorders. Medications treat symptoms - they don't change personality structure. You have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. If you have specific reasons for questioning that diagnosis, this is something you should address with the mental health professional who diagnosed you.

2. They say that "pretending you are in a fantasy world" is a symptom of PTSD, but can it also be a symptom of anxiety & depression? 'Cause there was this girl on the forum who was talking about how she made up characters in her head and fell in love with them and stuff, felt like they were real, and people on here were telling her she sounded like she had PTSD, but I am like that too!!!! So what does this mean?

There can be many reasons for the type of behavior you describe. It does not necessarily imply PTSD. Again, that is something for a qualified mental health professional to decide in face-to-face sessions.

[talon]

It is a real disorder but it is really a bad idea to try to self-diagnose based on things you read on the internet. Even if you meet the criteria, there are no medications specifically for personality disorders. Medications treat symptoms - they don't change personality structure. You have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder. If you have specific reasons for questioning that diagnosis, this is something you should address with the mental health professional who diagnosed you.

I'm not exactly questioning the diagnosis because I know that I have General Anxiety Disorder, I just find it odd how the symptoms of Avoidant Personality Disorder match my own, (minus the anxiety problem). Maybe I'm just overreacting.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.