More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
New Software Stops You From Sending Angry Emails

by Aixa, Authority Domains Internet Marketing Blog
September 20, 2010

Have you ever been misunderstood because of the tone you used in an email or interpreted an e-mail the wrong way? Or wondered what got a customer, friend, or colleague so upset ? only to discover it was your perceived tone?

This is an embarrassing and sometimes business/relationship ending situation for both parties. Studies show e-mail messages are interpreted incorrectly 50% of the time. However there is now a new tool to prevent that from happening again, called Tone Check, an e-mail plug-in that flags sentences with words or phrases that may convey unintended emotion or tone, then helps you re-write them. Just like Spell Check? but for the Tone you use in your message.

The old saying ?sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me? may have taught us to be respectful and strong towards others and ourselves when we were young, but these days when messages/conversations are shared via email, words can be loaded emotional weapons if not used properly. Tone Check ensures your tone is clearly communicated and understood before you hit the SEND button. It evaluates words and phrases for the intensity of 8 primary emotions, allowing you to make corrections and adjust the overall tone before you send the wrong message. Many companies battle productivity loss triggered by misread employee e-mail. Ensure everyone in your organization is communicating clearly with Tone Check.

You use Tone Check like a spell checker ? click the Tone Check button in the Outlook tool bar, and it will analyze your e-mail and make suggestions about which sentences which have strong emotional components. You don?t have to make any changes if you don?t want to, but it can be handy if your email is likely to offend the recipient.

Tone Check is an interesting idea. It?s not something I?d use all the time, but is perhaps a good tool to apply when sending a stressful e-mail late at night, towards the end of a project, or to especially sensitive business partners.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.