More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Tougher mental health rules begin in the UK
BBC NEWS
2008/11/03

A controversial reform of mental health laws allowing compulsory treatment in the community has been launched.

Patients released from hospitals in England and Wales could be forced back if they do not take their medication.

Mental health charities say the powers are excessive, will not improve people's health and could be misused.

But the government's mental health "czar" said they had been successfully introduced in other countries and would raise the standard of care.

'Revolving door patients'
The changes in the Mental Health Act are an extension of the powers which already allow people whose mental illness makes them a threat to themselves or others to be detained and, if necessary, forcibly treated.

Some people have been termed "revolving door patients", as once allowed home, they stop taking their medication, and their symptoms worsen again.

From Monday, once someone detained under the act is sent home, they can be subject to "supervised community treatment".

While they cannot be forcibly treated in their own homes, if they do not comply with the recommended treatment, they can be recalled to hospital immediately without the need for a fresh order under the act.

A more extensive system is already in place in Scotland, where patients do not even need to be detained in hospital before compulsory treatment becomes an option.

Ethical question
Critics, however, have claimed the changes could be used to justify the closure of psychiatric beds in hospitals to save money.

They also suggest that the scheme is ethically dubious, and has not been shown to work in other countries.

Simon Lawton-Smith, of the Mental Health Foundation, said: "This may help a small number of individuals with complex needs to stay well rather than lose touch with services and become ill again - but taking away anyone's right to refuse treatment is questionable.

"No-one with a physical health problem is compelled to take their medication, even if not taking it might be life-threatening."

He added: "There is no conclusive research to suggest this helps people with mental health problems to stay well any more than good local services.

"It will be important to keep a very close eye on how these new powers are being used. They must not become the easy option or replace good mental health services that people want to use."

However, Professor Louis Appleby, the national clinical director for mental health, and the man driving the introduction of the new powers, said it was "completely untrue" to suggest potential financial savings might have motivated them.

He said: "This is about how, as a responsible society, we can ensure that some of the vulnerable members of society receive the treatment they need."

He said the changes could improve the experience of some patients by giving psychiatrists the confidence to discharge them earlier, in the knowledge that they were more likely to take their medication.

The need to force mental health patients to take their drugs could not be compared to the physically ill who disregarded medical advice, he added.

Professor Appleby said: "Mental illness is different because it impairs your very ability to make a rational decision about your treatment.

"In other places where this kind of order has been introduced, it has been welcomed by clinicians, by the families of patients, and by patients themselves."

Marjorie Wallace of SANE said: "With the new Mental Health Act now in place, it is urgent that the government turns its attention to providing good quality mental health services so that crises are better prevented and coercion used only as a last resort.

"We do not yet know how often and in what ways supervised community treatment will be used, but we are aware of a number of people for whom it could provide a more acceptable means of providing sustained care and preventing self-neglect and suicide."

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
This isn't really making the Mental Health system in the UK seem approachable.

When I go to my Psychiatrist or Family Doctor for assistance, I feel trusting of them and their lack of intentions other than to assist me.

With this in place, I would be very reluctant to say certain things and trying to keep my condition in check when seeing them. This would be very detremental in the long run. One could only hold on so long this way...

I think it is horrible. There are, granted situations where the person doesn't realize their mental state and needs to be taken to the hospital for their initial treatment, but where are they drawing the line in these rules?

Are they going to consider that some people cannot tolorate medication in high dosages due to the affects on their physical health?

Is the history of the patient going to be reviewed or are they going to be just seen as "Mentally Ill" and that is all?

I can see for me personally this would be bad. I am no threat to society, or myself, but with a "Mentally Ill" label I would be subjected to this regardless.

Sparrow

Very interesting dilemna. I can empathize with DBC's reply very much.
Marjorie Wallace of SANE said: "With the new Mental Health Act now in place, it is urgent that the government turns its attention to providing good quality mental health services so that crises are better prevented and coercion used only as a last resort.
The coercion part doesn't particularily strike me as a warm or fuzzy feeling at all, more like an underlying draconian threat.
On the other hand, if someone is ready to take a swandive off a building...
For some reason, the article also reminded me of "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".
Perhaps some U.K. members are beginning to have a better take on this as it literally may effect them?

The mental health system in the UK is laughable. Its not approachable now, and resources for those who need them or want are not there, I know I have experince of it first hand,,and I dont think these new laws will help, they may help a few people but I think it will just give professionals power over people and take away their rights to choose and I really do think these powers will be misused, mental health problems to me are like any other "health" problems and should be treated as such, forcing people to take medicines is wrong, again there maybe a few people who this might help, but basically if the laws there is could be used on anyone, even me, I dont take medincines, neither do I have anything to do with the mental health system here after having bad experinces with it , I know im not just out of hospital but these laws could be use to make me have tablets or whatever, sorry for the long post but this whole thing makes me angry and smells of the big brother society we now live in.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.