More threads by TSson

TSson

I have a 15 yr old son with Tourette Syndrome and this year at school has been particularly difficult for him. His anger is escalating and he has been suspended from school for 2 days, this is his third suspension this year. Wondering if there are any other parents in a similar situation who have ideas/strategies to share.

I knew that this year was going to be harder for him as his resource teacher that he had a great connection with retired in June 2011 so he started the year without his friend and confident. He formed a strong friendship with a boy at the school who lived near us, they spent a lot of time together during the summer and that boy moved away the end of October. He went on his first date and it turns out that she only went out with him to get the attention of the boy she really wanted to date. I discovered that the boy he is now hanging out with smokes marijuana and I know that my son has tried it even thought he denies trying it. He is not engaged at school, is not completing all of his assignments, failing 2 of his 4 subjects, and is swearing and being disrespectful to the school staff. Hoping the resident expert Steve will be able to help us.

Retired

Although many people with Tourette seem to have anger issues, probably due to higher anxiety levels than the general population while others tend to have rage reactions when confronted with multiple stimuli or multiple requests for action, that seems to overload the ability to compartmentalize tasks, my view is that in order to integrate and function in society as a productive member, steps need to be taken to learn strategies to control these reactions.

Some of the most helpful strategies I learned many years ago, when I found my anger issues were affecting my life, were learned in a series of sessions for behavioural modification, which I believe is called cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) now.

This is not heavy duty therapy, but rather learning useful techniques that apply to everyday situations that might trigger an angry reaction.

He is not engaged at school, is not completing all of his assignments, failing 2 of his 4 subjects, and is swearing and being disrespectful to the school staff.

Is your son receiving any form of mental health counseling or therapy to deal with any of the issues that may be adversely affecting his life?

He went on his first date and it turns out that she only went out with him to get the attention of the boy she really wanted to date.

Unfortunate for a first time out, but it probably won't be the last disappointment he will experience. A good opportunity to teach him about controling his expectations and to be able to evaluate how much he shares of himself until the intentions of the other person in the relationship are understood.

How is he dealing with his first romantic heartbreak?

TSson

Some of the most helpful strategies I learned many years ago, when I found my anger issues were affecting my life, were learned in a series of sessions for behavioural modification, which I believe is called cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) now.

This is not heavy duty therapy, but rather learning useful techniques that apply to everyday situations that might trigger an angry reaction.

Thank you for this suggestion - we have an appointment with our family physican next week and I will ask her who she would recommend he go to. I am assuming I will need a referral from the family physican.

I have contacted the Tourette Foundation of Canada but it is very hard to contact them - I always leave messages but they are rarely returned and then I give up. I am going to make an effort to follow up and see if they will come to the school and make a presentation to the staff. I have already asked the school if I can attend and they have agreed which is good for me - the more information I have the better.

He is not receiving any form of mental health counseling or therapy - acutally when I take him to the Dr to discuss she has recommended that we increase his Cipralex to help with his anxiety. So we have increased his Cipralex twice now.

Actually he handled the dating disappointment very well. They are still friends they see each other at lunch so that's okay. I think he is happy he has the first date under his belt and he has some street credibility now that he has actually had a date! It was a real morale booster for him as she initiated it - she let his friend know that she liked him and he should ask her out.

Thank you Steve - I am always more optimistic and relieved after recieving a post from you.

Retired

I have contacted the Tourette Foundation of Canada but it is very hard to contact them

I am sure you son will benefit from your dedication to finding the right resources for him.

Were you trying to contact a Chapter or the National Office? The National office is reallly good about returning calls.

Over the last few weeks the TSFC head office has been involved with organizing their National Conference plus arranging the transition from their retiring Executive Director to the new E.D., Lynn McLarnon.

You may wish to send her an email, and refer to your discussion. her email address is Lynn@Tourette.ca

All other contact information for the National office is contained HERE

Let me know if I can help with future contact.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.