More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Treating Attention Deficit Disorder in Adults?
June 7, 2004
Provided by DrWeil.com

Q: I have been diagnosed with adult Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). I do not want to take prescription drugs. I was wondering if there is a natural approach to treat it.

A: The adult version of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD), also called Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD), usually occurs in people who had ADD as children, whether or not it was diagnosed at the time. An estimated 67 percent of children with the disorder will continue to have symptoms as adults. In adults, the key symptoms of the disorder - inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity - may be less apparent but may manifest as problems in relationships or work, such as mood disorders, substance abuse, or as various psychological difficulties. (For information on the characteristics of ADD in adults, see www.chadd.org/fs/fs7.htm.)

ADD in adults may be treated by counseling along with the same type of stimulant medication prescribed for children. Alternatively, certain antidepressants may be recommended. Conventional treatment also includes teaching behavior skills (such as list-making, day planners, filing systems, and other organizational methods). In addition, you might consider joining a support group.

I don't know of any reliable natural treatment for ADD, but the same complementary therapies recommended for children may help adults, too. These include taking supplemental omega-3 fatty acids. Higher doses of omega-3s have been used in treating other mood disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder. I would recommend using a product with high DHA content, which is concentrated in the brain, and start out with 2-4 grams daily. I also suggest taking a high-quality multivitamin and a good probiotic, a product that contains "friendly" bacteria that can stabilize the digestive tract. I recommend brands such as Culturelle, which contain Lactobacillus GG. Follow dosage directions on the label.

You also might try eliminating - one at a time - dairy products, wheat, corn, yeast, soy, citrus, eggs, chocolate, peanuts, artificial colors and preservatives, an approach that seemed to help control AD/HD symptoms in a 1993 Cornell University study. Biofeedback and homeopathy are also worth exploring as natural approaches.

Andrew Weil, MD

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.