• Quote of the Day
    "Behind the cloud the sun is still shining."
    Abraham Lincoln, posted by desiderata

David Baxter

Administrator
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
37,996
Points
113
I love horror movies (except for the ultra-violent slasher genre) and there are several there I haven't yet seen. Thank you! :)
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

p09s09h0.webp
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

Karen Spärck Jones FBA (26 August 1935 – 4 April 2007) was a pioneering British computer scientist responsible for the concept of inverse document frequency, a technology that underlies most modern search engines. In 2019, The New York Times published her belated obituary in its series Overlooked, calling her "a pioneer of computer science for work combining statistics and linguistics, and an advocate for women in the field."
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113
Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

French onion soup is probably the most dramatic example of how time is the magic ingredient in cooking, transforming humble foods into a final dish that is far, far more than the sum of its parts.

With French onion soup, the lengthy cooking time has two phases: Caramelizing the onions slowly and deliberately, and then simmering the broth for a long time with the caramelized onions. Skimping on either side will yield something a little less than the French onion soup of your dreams, but fortunately most of the time is hands-off. You can even do the simmer in a low oven (250°F) or in a slow cooker.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

On November 4, 2013, astronomers reported, based on Kepler space mission data, that there could be as many as 40 billion Earth-sized planets orbiting in the habitable zones of Sun-like stars and red dwarf stars within the Milky Way galaxy. Eleven billion of these estimated planets may be orbiting Sun-like stars. The nearest such planet was then as close as 12 light-years away but is now estimated slightly above four light-years away.
 

David Baxter

Administrator
Joined
Mar 26, 2004
Messages
37,996
Points
113
They always have. I suspect it's partly because prisons are privately/commercially run in the US and partly the whole "look tough on crime" thing. What other reason could there be for ridiclous sentences like 300-400 years? As is anyone will ever complete that sentence.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

A pedestrian has a 10 percent chance of dying when hit by a car at 23 miles per hour, a 25 percent chance at 32 mph, and a 75 percent chance at 50 mph.

One type of roadway that’s especially dangerous is...a “stroad”: places that try to be both a street, with access to shopping and leisure, and a road, where drivers move from place to place at high speeds, but do neither well.

Stroads are pervasive throughout America. Think of the wide arterial roads, lined with strip malls and big-box stores, that dominate the country. These environments combine 30- or 40-plus mph speeds with frequent turns, stopping points, and shared traffic with pedestrians and bikes, which creates many opportunities for crashes...

“If you narrowed the lanes and made the speeds lower, it would become way more safe just overnight, immediately. But no city, no state is really allowed to do that.” Roads have to adhere to the rulebook that has dictated bad, speed-first design for decades, or risk losing federal transportation aid.
 
Last edited:

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

Reward processing is a fundamental human activity. The basal ganglia are recognized for their role in reward processes; however, specific roles of the different nuclei (e.g., nucleus accumbens, caudate, putamen and globus pallidus) remain unclear. Using quantitative meta-analyses we assessed whole-brain and basal ganglia specific contributions to money, erotic, and food reward processing. We analyzed data from 190 fMRI studies which reported stereotaxic coordinates of whole-brain, within-group results from healthy adult participants.

Results showed concordance in overlapping and distinct cortical and sub-cortical brain regions as a function of reward type. Common to all reward types was concordance in basal ganglia nuclei, with distinct differences in hemispheric dominance and spatial extent in response to the different reward types. Food reward processing favored the right hemisphere; erotic rewards favored the right lateral globus pallidus and left caudate body. Money rewards engaged the basal ganglia bilaterally including its most anterior part, nucleus accumbens.

We conclude by proposing a model of common reward processing in the basal ganglia and separate models for money, erotic, and food rewards.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

Radars are rarely used alone in a marine setting. A modern trend is the integration of radar with other navigation displays on a single screen, as it becomes quite distracting to look at several different screens. Therefore, displays can often overlay an electronic GPS navigation chart of ship position, and a sonar display, on the radar display. This provides a combined view of surroundings, to maneuver the ship.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

Fruit flies lived 16% longer than average when given low doses of lithium...

"We found low doses not only prolong life but also shield the body from stress and block fat production for flies on a high sugar diet."

"This research has the potential to not only help create a healthier older generation, but also provide significant insights into how we could potentially treat or even prevent conditions of ageing like Parkinson's."

Lithium salts have been used in the past as a health tonic and to heal conditions such as gout and migraines.

In modern medicine, lithium is used to encourage mood stability in bipolar disorder and is also being considered for the treatment of memory impairment.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

Hash browns first started appearing on breakfast menus in New York City in the 1890s...

Originally, the full name of the dish was "hashed brown potatoes" (or "hashed browned potatoes"), of which the first known mention is by American food author Maria Parloa (1843–1909) in her 1887 Kitchen Companion, where she describes the dish of "hashed and browned potatoes" as a fried mixture of cold boiled potatoes which is folded "like an omelet" before serving.
 

Daniel

Forum Supporter
MVP
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
19,417
Points
113

As of 2018, about 700,000 people have died of HIV/AIDS in the U.S. since the beginning of the HIV epidemic, and nearly 13,000 people with AIDS in the United States die each year.

With improved treatments and better prophylaxis against opportunistic infections, death rates have significantly declined.

The overall death rate among persons diagnosed with HIV/AIDS in New York City decreased by sixty-two percent from 2001 to 2012.
 

Top Bottom