More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Vitamin D deficiency in 1.1 million Canadians
CBC News
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Most Canadians have enough vitamin D in their blood for bone health, but only one third are above the level increasingly believed necessary for overall health and disease prevention, Statistics Canada says.

More than 1.1 million Canadians or about four per cent of the population are vitamin D deficient, or low enough to cause nutritional rickets in children and osteoporosis in adults.

A report released Tuesday used data from the Canadian Health Measures Survey, which took direct physical measurements, including blood samples, to test levels of vitamin D and fats such as cholesterol.

Advocates of vitamin D believe it is important to human health, especially in more northerly climates such as Canada, where sunshine is often limited in winter.

Higher levels desirable to prevent disease
In the study, 90 per cent of Canadians aged six to 79 had concentrations of vitamin D in their blood that were considered adequate for bone health.

The agency defined vitamin D deficiency as a concentration below 27.5 nanomoles per litre (nmol/L) ? a measurement of concentration based on the number of molecules per litre of blood.

The report's authors said there is growing consensus that much higher concentrations, above 75 nmol/L, are desirable for overall health and disease prevention.

"This higher level has been found to be associated with a lower risk of breast and colon cancer, some cardiovascular disease and other diseases like multiple sclerosis," said Kellie Langlois of Statistics Canada's health analysis division.

Between April and October, 38.6 per cent of Canadians tested had concentrations above 75. Between November and March, the percentage who met that concentration in their blood or serum fell to 30.3 per cent, according to the report.

"If you look at the reference values that your doctor would expect you to have when they measure your serum 25 hydroxy D, one-third of Canadians would have enough, and two-thirds of Canadians would be told they should probably be taking a vitamin D supplement," said Reinhold Vieth, a clinical chemist at Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital.

Men were more likely than women to have inadequate concentrations. The highest prevalence of deficiency occurred among men aged 20 to 39 ? about seven per cent of this group were considered vitamin D deficient.

"The factors related to low concentrations are winter season, racial backgrounds other than white, and less frequent intake of milk," Langlois and the co-authors concluded.

Levels under review
Future analysis of the data will investigate factors that may influence vitamin D concentrations, such as supplement consumption, body mass index, pregnancy, fish consumption and use of sunscreen, the researchers said.

Small amounts of vitamin D are found in fortified foods, such as milk, and naturally in oily cold-water fish such as salmon. For example, one cup of mild or fortified rice or soy beverage contains 100 IU of vitamin D and 85 grams of light canned tuna contains 200 IU, according to the B.C. Ministry of Health.

Men with inadequate blood levels of vitamin D of 30 nmol/L would need to consume about 3,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D supplements per day to reach the more desirable 71 nmol/L level, the authors of a 2008 U.S. study on heart attack risk said.

Vitamin D inadequacy for bone health was defined as a concentration below 37.5 nmol/L. The standards were set in 1997 by the Institute of Medicine in Washington, and are under joint review by Canada and the United States.

The institute expects to complete its vitamin D review and issue its final report by the end of this summer.

Health Canada said the current tolerable upper intake level for those over the age of one is 2,000 IU from all sources.

Ronbell

Is there any correlation between vitamin D deficiencies and depression? I have heard about people getting special UV lights in the winter time to help combat it (which as you know helps synthesize vitamin d internally).

I myself seem to undergo a minor bout of depression around this time of year as well, just after winter, with no particular conscience reason, so I think it might be chemical. I've often considered taking vitamin D supplements even though I drink plenty of milk products already.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
I myself seem to undergo a minor bout of depression around this time of year as well, just after winter, with no particular conscience reason, so I think it might be chemical.
Though I would know less about this as I live in Florida, it need not be directly due to the weather itself, though that is possible. Generally speaking, it could be something related to the weather like some change in routine. Even in people with bipolar disorder who are reportedly twice as prone to seasonal changes than people with depression, it's an open question if the weather itself is the issue.

In any case, something I posted in 2004 (it's geared towards women but would probably apply to men as well):

Q. What can women do to rid themselves of the Body Blues?

A. Until recently, there were two main treatment options: psychotherapy and prescription medications. In my book, When Your Body Gets the Blues I introduce a new, all-natural solution called the "LEVITY Program."? My colleagues and I developed and tested this innovative lifestyle program at the University of Washington.

It consists of three simple but very specific activities:

1) Creating a more natural lighting environment - brighter during the day and darker at night.

2) Going for a 20-minute brisk outdoor walk, five days a week

3) Taking the following vitamins and minerals on a daily basis:

? 50 mgs. each of vitamins B-1, B-2, and B-6
? 400 IU of vitamin D
? 400 mcg. of folic acid
? 200 mcg of selenium.

http://www.thebodyblues.com
At the time, Dr. Baxter also suggested omega-3s:

http://forum.psychlinks.ca/seasonal-affective-disorder-sad/1268-seasonal-affective-disorder.html

Personally, I get all my vitamins and minerals from just eating foods like spinach, eggs, etc. And, as you may know, dietary guidelines now suggest getting sunshine for vitamin D, which, for many people, could eliminate any need for vitamin D supplements.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.