More threads by ladybug1966

ladybug1966

So, I've been taking 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL for about 6 weeks now. I stopped it before that for about 2 weeks because I was out of town and ran out of it. Before that I had taken 150 mg for about 7-8 weeks. Anyway, I am also taking Trazodone (for sleep) and Topamax (PTSD/Migraines). Anyway, I was told about a month ago that I could increase to 300 mg after being on 150 mg for a week, but I was too afraid to. For anyone that knows me, I am not a medication person and the fact that I am still taking Trazodone and Topamax for as long as I have been is a miracle. So, my main question is: Does anyone here take or used to take Wellbutrin? I know seizure risk increases as my dose increases, but I really don't feel any different with 150 mg, but am freaked out about the increase. I've tried almost every other medication and have heard great things about this med. for depression. I just can't seem to swallow a 300 mg tablet. For one - I do have an eating disorder history and have started to slip back into it. Two - The whole medication paranoia I have. It's up to me rather or not I want to, as was starting the medication, but this always happens when it comes to medications.. especially anti-depressants. I can't seem to let go of control for anything. Or does something have control of me.. whatever.

The point: Does anyone here have experience with Wellbutrin XL?

gardens

Hi Ladybug,
Does your prescribing doctor know about your eating disorder history? Some of the information I have read warn against taking it if you have an eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia.
I am taking 450 mg of Wellbutrin XL which is the maximum dose - and I have had no ill effects.
I would discuss this with your doctor.

ladybug1966

Hey Gardens - Yes, he definitely does. He knows too much about me and my history (if that's even possible). He prescribed it and I've been doing fine with it and still am. I have been fine with symptoms in my ED for years until recently (I've just had a few off days). I am not full into the ED and I am keeping in touch with my GP with labs (which were fine) and with my prescribing doc as well. The conversation I had with the prescribing doc was no ED behaviors if I continue on Wellbutrin and especially if I increase - which I could agree to, especially if it could help me feel better mood wise. Thanks for your concern. I know we need to keep open communication with our doctors on all things, especially medications.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Do you have a seizure disorder, ladybug?

If not, there's probably little risk - 300 mg of Wellbutrin is a standard dose which most people tolerate well.

I will say, though, that my experience with clients on Wellbutrin is that as an adjunct to antidpressants it can work well but as a standalone antidepressant I haven't seen a great deal of success. Has your physician suggested other medications that perhaps you have rejected due to concerns about weight gain or other side effects?

ladybug1966

No, Dr. Baxter, I do not have a seizure disorder.

It's a bit ironic that you ask this question: "Has your physician suggested other medications that perhaps you have rejected due to concerns about weight gain or other side effects?" I actually had typed out in my first post: ''I have tried almost every medication on the list, except a couple that I refuse to take.." because I figured that would lead to the question of why am I hesitant to taking those? So, now the answer: I started the trials of anti-depressants and medications when I was about 12/13 years old. I have taken the SSRI group: Lexapro, Prozac, and Zoloft. The SNRI group: Effexor (bad experience), Cymbalta, (I can't remember if I've tried Pristiq..) I'm taking an NDRI and an SARI. I've tried Seroquel (never will take that again), Abilify (or this), and Buspar (back when I was really anxious). For some odd reason, my doctor wanted me to try Geodon which sent me through the roof and I will never take again. Umm... I refused Remeron. I have taken it once because I was in the hospital and I was afraid what would happened if I didn't, but other than that, that's where I am. Nothing else has really been mentioned to me on what to try. I have taken Amitriptyline to try to help my migraines (and depression) last year, but I will admit - the whole weight gain thing did scare me off from continuing it. - Wow .. I sound incredibly difficult. Sorry.

I have been taking Trazodone and Topamax for about 2 years now, I think? Close to 2 years. I do realize that I am allowing the ED to still control me when I won't take a medication for that reason. Regardless of if I am still actively restricting, exercising, or whatnot - that is still an unhealthy thought. I get that, I know that, but when it comes to a medication something flips in my brain. I have to have control of what goes on in just about everything I do (not to the point of OCD .. I don't think, but close) and thinking that a little pill can do something like that (silently, slowly make someone gain weight) freaks me out. That's why I don't like taking anxiety meds or pain meds. I've taken them and will if I absolutely need to, but I don't like feeling out of control like they can do. That leads to the question of: Why I can't make myself take an anti-depressant regardless of the side effects? EX: weight gain. That's a battle I don't know if I'll ever get over: the need for control and weight. Blah. Whatever. My need for control is insane. And it's not really a number I look for, it's really my body when it gets to a certain point, I freak out.

Anyway, I do know how medication works, but my warped mind works like this: It has to work like ___ or it can't happen. - that's the warped brain I have.

Thanks for your feedback. I've decided I'm going to try the increase tomorrow and go from there. We'll see!

---------- Post Merged at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:40 PM ----------

I did mean to mention/ask my physician has pushed Remeron more than once on me and for over a year. I do keep refusing it because of the side effect and weight gain concern. It also knocked me out when I took it in the hospital (which he told the physician there to give me). Again, I have to have control of my sleep and how I sleep, so that didn't go over well.

Do you have a lot of experience with Remeron? Currently Wellbutrin XL and Remeron have been the only two that have been up for discussion. He did mention trying Cymbalta again. I can't remember why I stopped taking that.

ladybug1966

I really don't remember those. I mostly remember why I stopped Effexor, Abilify, Seroquel, etc.

I took Lexapro and Zoloft years ago. Prozac was about a year ago and I think I just stopped it for no reason, other than fear. Ridiculous, I know. I'm preventing myself from possibly feeling better.. I get that. Topamax and Trazodone have been enough for a while, but there's always been that deep hole that I can't seem to pick myself out of. When it got deeper, I asked for medication (planning on taking it), but end up too paranoid/too stubborn/scared to take it.

ladybug1966

That's what I was afraid of and I really don't want to get off of Topamax. It has seemed to really help the migraines and tone down my PTSD symptoms. (Up until this recent stressor that's seemed to set off every emotion inside.) I'm afraid if I stop Topamax, every PTSD symptom I was having will come back 10 times stronger and I can't have that. That finally feels under control to an extent. I'm also taking 400 mg. a day, so that probably wouldn't help a tiny dose of an SSRI.

Random thought: I wonder if I could up the dosage of Trazodone to be an anti-depressant without becoming too drowsy. I take 300 mg at night.. that may be something I bring up to my doctor to throw around ideas.

Maybe I'm too hopeful that Wellbutrin will work on its own for me? I really don't want to have to go back to the drawing board of SSRI's or SNRI's. Wishful thinking!

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
I'm confused now. Has your doctor suggested that you should discontinue the Topamax?

In any case, increasing the trazodone wouldn't be the best option for most people because it does cause drowsiness. My comment about Wellbutrin was made as a response to my assumption that you were still experiencing symptoms of depression. If it works for you, or if the depressive symptoms lessen with a dose increase, that's excellent - go with that and with your doctor's medical advice. I am certainly NOT arguing against your doctor's recommendations.

ladybug1966

Oh no, I know you aren't arguing against any of my doctor's recommendations. I would never assume or think that regardless of what was said. Sorry if things got confusing.

No, he has asked if I wanted to discontinue the Topamax and I quickly responded with "No." I guess what confused me was when you said that it would limit any potential gain with the SSRI's and so I went and ahead and explained why I wouldn't get off Topamax. (Sorry for that misunderstanding.)

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Oh, okay I see. I simply meant that if you were to try one of the SSRIs the fact that you are already taking Topamax would make it less likely that you would gain weight.

I was on wellbutrin xl it is the only medication i seem to be able to take without side effects

It seem to help me but like you i keep stopping the meds because my warp brain keeps telling me to do so.

I found it to be very effective the rate increase talk to your doctor ok because it can help if you find the decrease dose not being as effective.

As stated by Dr Baxter 300mg is a normal dose not a high one Let us know if the rate increase helps ok

Banned

Banned
I was on 300ml of Wellbutrin XL for many years, both as a stand-alone and in conjunction with Cipralex. I tolerated it extremely well and my body adjusted quite easily to dosage increases. It also mitigated some of the other side effects I was having. I am actually considering going back on it.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.