More threads by fauxname1990

I most definitely feel the need to talk to someone about this. So, bottom-line; there are precisely five things that i have come to associate with the month of June over the years: the end of the school year, Graduation, Summer, Father's Day and June weddings. But, uh, recently this year, i have been starting to feel a little bit off about those exact same associations. For you see, i decided to attend the graduation of one of my cousins back during the month of January, which struck me as a bit odd since i graduated from high school in June, and then later on, way back in the month of March, i also attended the wedding of my older brother and not only got to see my dad because of, but also served within it as the best man. And, apparently, the 4th of June was when my family celebrated my nephew's graduation day, which is 7 days earlier than when my graduation took place back in the day. So does anyone have anything to say about the way that i'm apparently feeling?

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
In addition to feeling "a little bit off," how else would you describe this feeling? Do you feel anxiety, tension, discomfort, or something else with it?

Are there other things that give you this feeling?

Are these feelings annoying? Do they seem to interfere with daily activities?

Do you do try to get rid of these feelings?

Last edited:
In order;

It feels like I am not that interested in a personal tradition that I have had in effect for so very long and that just feels wrong in someway

Another factor to take into consideration is the fact that this is actually happening during the year that my cousin and eldest nephew finally graduated from high school and exactly two of my three nieces both finally finished middle school. Plus the exact same day right after my nephew’s little celebration didn’t exactly go very well, all things considered, nor did the morning of the previously mentioned wedding, when we were all getting set to go. And, um, both of those instances involved a few moments of issue between my myself and my mother, just like the morning of my own graduation all those years ago

Yes this is quite the annoying predicament, as it is interfering with the way that I have spent the month of June for years now

I do try to get through these feelings by actually going through with my own personal June traditions, but, um, any sort of real relief or satisfaction that tends to come of it is usually pretty short-lived

Last edited:

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
that just feels wrong in someway

Yes this is quite the annoying predicament, as it is interfering with the way that I have spent the month of June for years now

I do try to get through these feelings by actually going through with my own personal June traditions, but, um, any sort of real relief or satisfaction that tends to come of it is usually pretty short-lived

When you had the problem with compulsively washing your hands, that was said to be OCD. I would argue what you are dealing with now is a different symptom of OCD:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/compassion-matters/201810/what-we-need-know-about-ocd

When a person has OCD, it’s as if the alarm system in their brain is faulty, seeing danger where there may be none, trapping them in a hyperaroused state. They may experience irrational or disturbing thoughts and engage in compulsive actions to relieve their anxiety and uncertainty or feeling that things are just not “right.” This is because a part of the brain that is designed to protect them by warning them of danger is being triggered. This part of the brain is an ancient protection system evolutionarily developed to keep you safe, but in the case of OCD, it gets stuck.

In any case, there is a similar theme in some of your previous threads:

My most recent vacation troubles

My Best Laid Plans for the Holidays Have Gone Astray

Ideally, I would see a psychologist and/or a psychiatrist.

For my OCD, just realizing that "you are not your brain" (or "it's my OCD, not me") is more than half the battle, but it is still easy for me to get off track.

I find exercise helps manage my OCD as well. I have had OCD for over 20 years, and I am still learning more about it.

Last edited:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.