More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What is Your Toughest Social Skills Challenge?
by Ron Anteroinen, ADDitude
November 15, 2018

“For me, it’s not taking things personally, not being swept away by feelings of rejection when someone doesn’t answer me or criticizes me.” — Sarah L., Canada

“My husband’s toughest social challenge is being, well, social. He is rude, indignant, impulsive, and quick to get angry.” — An ADDitude Reader

“The toughest social skills challenge for my son is making conversation. The toughest challenge for me is to feel accepted.” — Lisa, Nebraska

“Expressing my thoughts to a group of people. Everything gets jumbled.” — Jessica, Idaho

“Remembering to listen instead of thinking what to say next. I’m terrified of social situations, but I enjoy them once I’m settled into a conversation. But they are always exhausting and I need recovery time afterward.” — Pamela M., New York

Making friends. I can overshare. It’s difficult to make friends with women in general, and it doesn’t help that I put my foot in my mouth.” — An ADDitude Reader

“Not interrupting a conversation. My mind is racing ahead, and everyone else is still back where I am not.” — Lawrence P., Florida

“Resisting the urge to explain my kids to others.” — Cheryl M., New Jersey

“Out of sight, out of mind. I’ve lost good friends over the years because if I don’t see them regularly, it doesn’t occur to me to call them or reach out. Additionally, big crowds or loud, busy places overwhelm me and make it hard for me to be present in conversations.” — Mary M., Texas

“Reading facial expressions and body language of friends. It’s hard for me to understand when a person is teasing or is annoyed.” — An ADDitude Reader

“Getting parents of neurotypicals to understand that my child has trouble with social cues. He doesn’t mean to be annoying. He really enjoys his friends.” — An ADDitude Reader

“I get over-attached, then I worry that I am too over-the-top for the person I attach to. I second-guess the relationship and mess it up.” — Micki, Maryland

“Never feeling like I fit in with peers. No matter how hard I try, I’ve never been able to succeed.” — Lee, England

“Not wanting to make small talk.” — Pamela R., Texas

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.