More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
What patients — and doctors — need to know about vitamins and supplements
by Monique Tello, MD, MPH, Harvard Health Blog
March 16, 2018

A recently published clinical guideline on vitamin and mineral supplements reinforces every other evidence-based guideline, research review, and consensus statement on this topic. The bottom line is that there is absolutely no substitute for a well-balanced diet, which is the ideal source of the vitamins and minerals we need.

The brief article, co-authored by nutrition guru Dr. JoAnn Manson, cites multiple large clinical trials studying multiple nutritional supplements’ effects on multiple end points. The gist of it is, our bodies prefer naturally occurring sources of vitamins and minerals. We absorb these better. And because commercially available vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc. are lumped together as “supplements,” the FDA doesn’t regulate them. When we ingest processed, concentrated, and artificially packaged “supplements,” we may be doing ourselves harm. They may be toxic, ineffective, or contaminated (all of which are not uncommon).

In other words: Most people who eat a healthy diet are unlikely to benefit from nutritional supplements.

Note the very important qualifiers. We’re talking about most people (not all) who eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.

Does anyone need vitamin and mineral supplements? Well, yes
There are medical conditions that put people at high risk for certain nutritional deficiencies, and there are medical conditions that can be treated with certain nutritional supplements. This is important, and is why the authors support targeted supplementation. But who needs what and where to acquire these are important discussions to have.

There are guidelines for specific groups, such as pregnant women. Folic acid is especially important for healthy fetal development, and a deficiency can cause spina bifida, a neurologic condition. I advise my patients to start either a prenatal vitamin with folic acid, or at the very least folic acid itself, ideally before they begin trying to conceive. As pregnancy advances, mom needs to provide her growing fetus with everything, and so she will benefit from a prenatal vitamin (either by prescription or a well-vetted over-the-counter one) which contains things like iron and calcium.

Older adults can have difficulty absorbing vitamin B[SUB]12[/SUB], and I have a low threshold when checking this level: if someone is taking an acid-reducing medication, it is very likely that they will become deficient in B[SUB]12[/SUB], as well as iron, vitamin D, and calcium, among other things. These folks may very well benefit from a quality multivitamin.

Of course, there’s a long list of medical issues that predispose people to vitamin deficiencies. For example, people who have had weight-loss surgery may require a number of supplements including A, D, E, K, and B vitamins, iron, calcium, zinc, copper, and magnesium, among other things. People with inflammatory bowel disease (like Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis) may have similar requirements. People who have or are at risk for osteoporosis may greatly benefit from vitamin D and, depending on the quality of their diet and other factors, possibly also calcium supplements.

There are other medical conditions that can be treated with supplements. One that immediately comes to my mind is inflammatory arthritis (or other inflammatory conditions) and turmeric. While quality scientific studies are lacking, there are plenty of smaller studies as well as historical experience suggesting that turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, and I see some of our rheumatologists routinely recommending this to patients for pain relief. Then there’s prediabetes/diabetes and cinnamon, which has blood sugar-lowering properties. With these compounds, I advise that people use the regular spice in normal culinary amounts, not a processed/concentrated packaged supplement.

Not all vitamins are created equal
And here is another key point that bears repeating: Manson suggests choosing vitamins that have been tested by independent labs such as US Pharmacopeia, Consumer Lab, and NSF International, and certified to have the labeled dosage of the correct ingredient, and not have toxins or contaminating organisms. Many commercially available supplements here in the US will bear a label from one of these labs.

On that point, gummy vitamins are often not certified and often do cause cavities. Yes, everyone loves them, because they’re basically candy. I do not recommend gummy vitamins for anyone, but especially not for pregnant women.

I’ll also add in a warning: I often hear about providers who are selling supplements or other products directly to their patients. This is a conflict of interest, and it’s unethical, as well as fraught with all sorts of potential problems. Please use caution if purchasing anything directly from the provider who is prescribing it.

The bottom line
In summary, enjoy a varied, colorful, healthy diet, consider supplements when they may be needed or helpful, and choose your sources carefully.

Sources

Banned

Banned
Is there any research or information about vitamin IV infusions? They're the new rage...admittedly I'm trying it on Monday because I'm not good at taking vitamins and should (weight loss surgery). I haven't been able to find much research online.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Seriously? Unless there is a specific medical reason (e.g., your digestive system is unable to absorb vitamins normally), my advice is don't.

What's so difficult about taking vitamins? Put them next to your medications and take them at the same time. Or put them next to your coffee maker. Or next to your toothbrush. To be honest, I'm surprised any doctor or hospital would approve IV vitamins without a valid medical need. Usually, they would try IM injections first even where there is a problem with normal absorption.

There are risks to IV administrations and I know from experience that the more IVs you to have the harder it is to find a good vein as time goes on. Save them for something important.

Banned

Banned
I’m supposed to be taking in excess of 15 vitamins a day because of my surgery - we’re not talking one or two. I thought an infusion might be a better way to get them in and more readily absorbed, but I’ll give it some thought now.

Daniel E.

daniel@psychlinks.ca
Administrator
For additional anxiety:

If attendants don't pay careful attention to the infusion rate, they can knock a person's electrolyte balance out of whack or overload their fluid levels, potentially causing swelling of the brain, heart failure or kidney damage.

"IV lounges" a trendy health fad, but are they safe? - CBS News

That is quite a few vitamins to take Turtle are you able to get these vitamins in a liquid form orally. IT would be easier to take them and being liquid form they would be absorbed quickly. I agree that IV infusions should be kept for more critical situations because of the risk involved with overload and infections and fluid going interstitial etc. Hope all goes well with your surgery.

Banned

Banned
I'm going to talk to my doctor and find out the best route to go. I'm not able to take that many vitamins each day. I just had blood work done and everything is fine except Vit D so for now I am just taking Vit D but technically, I'm supposed to take a tonne more. I'll see what my doctor says. I know these infusions are the newest fad so I wasn't sure what to think.

Retired

..... everything is fine except Vit D so for now I am just taking Vit D but technically, I'm supposed to take a tonne more

There could be concerns about Vitamin D toxicity

There seems to be a culture emerging today that advocates nutrition with vitamins instead of with food, and in one case I am personally aware of, the parents are virtually withholding food from their young child by susbtituting vitamins instead.

I would respectfully submit that as a prospective health care professional, Turtle, you may want to consider reorienting your thinking into weighing benefits & risks based on sound medical and scientific evidence and accepted practice for your own benefit and for the benefit of those who you might be counselling in the future, rather than hitching your wagon to whatever is the current popular health trend or fad.

No offense intended, just my personal observation.

Steve

Banned

Banned
Thanks, Steve. No offence taken.

The reason I created my initial post was to become more knowledgeable on the subject, which this thread has helped with.

Because of my surgery, I've been told to take -> biotin, vit D, iron, multivitamin, calcium, probiotics, and a few others I can't recall off hand.

I didn't initially take these because a) I wanted to establish a baseline without them to determine where I'm truly deficient and b) I can't see any reason I can't get my nutrients from food. While it's true I eat significantly less, I still have a normal digestive system that can process food and nutrients.

At my last doctor appt last week she advised to take 2000 IUs of vit D daily, which I'm doing. Everything else is ok so I'm continuing to focus on proper nutrition but had also honestly wondered if I could or should benefit from vitamin infusions. After this thread, I'm not convinced it's the best option for me.

Retired

At my last doctor appt last week she advised to take 2000 IUs of vit D daily,

Your clarification has helped out your query into perspective. When you referred to Vitamin D by the tonne, the prospect set off alarm bells, in addition to the usual ringing in my ears...(but I digress)...but 2000 IU's is within what I believe is the norm....my own doctor has recommended 2000-3000 IU's for me, so I've calculated that with diet and a bit of supplementation I am taking about 2500 IU's per day.

There are online calculators that can assist in determining dietary dose that can be used to decide what supplementary dose is required.

BTW Costco has a good deal for Vitamin D tabs!

Steve

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.