More threads by BluMac81

BluMac81

I get this question a lot when I tell someone that I am depressed, and it is so frustrating! Today I told one of my professors about my issues, a professor in human pathology, and he asked me that.

Am I wrong in the belief that depression can have NO reason for its appearance? That in fact IF there is a rational reason for you being depressed, then you're not depressed! You're just sad.

Well anyway just wondering if anyone else has similar frustrations, or if my logic is correct on the above paragraph. I usually respond to this questions with 'its depression', but then they just have to say 'but why'? So I throw out 'i'm just too hard on myself about things' -.-

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Re: 'Why are you depressed?'; questioning the question

To answer your question, I get that a lot too. I have major depressive illness. Even with other forms of depression, there are other symptoms other than the crying and being "down" and those for lack of a better word "odvious" symptoms.

People who do not have experience with depression do not realize that there is also confusion, slow and laboured movements, fatigue, muscle aches and pains, and the list goes on. That people can experience with depression too.

Andy

MVP
Re: 'Why are you depressed?'; questioning the question

Ugh I think it is perfectly normal to not have a reason for being depressed. My understanding is that if you have no reasoning for being down, then you have a mood disorder. I mean you can have a mood disorder and be down about specific things as well. I don't know, that could be very wrong. lol

I think most people look at depression and think in order for someone to be depressed thay have to have some tragic event happen to them. My best friend cannot wrap her head around depression at all. She thinks when I get low it's like a normal light depression that everyone gets....Bagh. Anyway I agree it's annoying!

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.