More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Powercfg utility traces laptop power woes
Windows Secrets
August 2014

About 95 percent of the time, my work laptop is plugged into AC power. But recently, whenever I take it on the road, I invariably lose battery power quickly. (An HP portable, it can't be switched to hibernate mode.)

Activating Win7/8's Power Efficiency Report can help detect the root of power-management issues. Even if you don't think there's a power problem, running this report periodically is a great forewarned-is-forearmed strategy.

To run a report, start at an administrator-level Windows command prompt. (Type command into the Windows search box. Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.)

Enter powercfg /energy at the prompt (include a space before the slash) and press Enter. Windows will take about a minute to assemble the report and then save it as C:\Windows\System32\energy-report.html (see Figure 4). Use Explorer's search box to locate the file quickly.

W2014-08-07-BP-PowerCfg.png
Figure 4. Use a command-prompt window to run a system-energy report.

The report will open in your default browser. My report, shown in Figure 5, provided the answer to my battery issue. The battery was charging to just 36 percent of its original capacity. No wonder I had to be near an AC outlet wherever I traveled with the machine. In addition to the aging battery, the report listed eight other errors and seven warnings. Most of those were remedied via adjustments to Windows' power-management tools.

W2014-08-07-BP-PowerReport.png
Figure 5. This Windows Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report shows a battery that won't fully charge.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.