More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Work, antidepressants and the law
By Jane Deith
15 June 2009

Have you ever taken antidepressants? If the answer is yes, would you mention it when applying for a new job? How many of us could find ourselves accused of fraud for not disclosing we have, at some stage, taken antidepressants?

Christine Laird did not mention she had taken anti-depressants when she applied for the post of managing director at Cheltenham Borough Council.

She says although she had suffered depression in the past, she was not ill when she applied for the job.

But the council says she deceived them by not mentioning her history of mental illness on its pre-employment medical questionnaire.

It claims it was "saddled with a medically unfit managing director" and attempted to sue Christine Laird for almost ?1m for "fraudulent or negligent misrepresentation". But the council's claim has been rejected.

Many employees could find themselves accused of fraud for not admitting they had taken antidepressants.

Mental health charities like Mind estimate that one in four of us will experience depression.

And experts think depression is rising due to the pressures of the recession.

The Royal College of General Practitioners, says its GPs have noticed an increase in patients with symptoms of depression, anxiety and stress over the last six months.

More and more of us are being treated for depression with drugs. The NHS statistics on the amount of antidepressants we are taking are striking.

In the last recession, in 1992, doctors wrote out almost 10 million prescriptions for antidepressants. Last year, in 2007, doctors issued 34 million prescriptions for antidepressants.

But although millions of people are taking antidepressants today, still, very few people tell their employer. It appears a fear of stigma and discrimination is justified.

Last year the Chartered Institute for Personnel and Development asked employers about their attitudes to mental illness.

According to their survey:

• 60 per cent of employers will not consider taking on someone with a mental health problem
  • 10 per cent of employers have withdrawn a job offer after finding out an applicant lied about their health on a pre-employment questionnaire
  • 7 per cent of employers have sacked someone for lying about their health.
Andrea works in corporate wellbeing - advising companies on how to look after their employees' mental and physical health.

The irony is she feels she has to hide her own mental illness. Andrea has bi-polar disorder. She has lied about having a mental illness throughout her career, including in pre-employment medical questionnaires.

"I would rather lose my job and be fired for a mental health issue, than I would be having to watch my back constantly when I'm at work. Because you get to the point where you can't even take a day off sick with a cold because you're terrified that people are going to see you as less able."

Andrea believes pre-employment medical questionnaires should be scrapped.

"I don't see how they give you a full view of a person's abilities. I see it as a way to weed out the weaker. [....] These questionnaires send a very serious message to people with mental health problems that 'you're not wanted, you don't belong and we're going to watch you and we're going to police you - and first wrong move and you're out.'"

Cheltenham Borough Council says its pre-employment medical questionnaire helps it meet its duty of care towards its employee, so that it's aware of, and can help with, someone's health problems.

The council argues that if it didn't ask people about their health, it could be sued by them if they fell ill.

But mental health charities say these questionnaires should be banned, or at least only filled in after a job offer has been made.

Until then, they say, people will continue to hide mental illness. And on top of the stress of applying for a job, they face the fear of being 'found out' or even taken to court and sued.

NicNak

Resident Canuck
Administrator
Re: Work, antidepressants and the law

Work, antidepressants and the law
By Jane Deith
15 June 2009

According to their survey:

• 60 per cent of employers will not consider taking on someone with a mental health problem
  • 10 per cent of employers have withdrawn a job offer after finding out an applicant lied about their health on a pre-employment questionnaire
  • 7 per cent of employers have sacked someone for lying about their health.

These statistics are very sad.

Health questionaires can also cause discrimination against people who have other diseases and conditions such as HIV/AIDS, where there is also very heavy stigma still attached.

I often wonder if a mandatory medical evaluations and questionairs are also used to prevent "strains" on company health insurance policies as well.

Certian positions where physical health is required such as, Fire Department, Police etc I can understand.

Others, I think it is just fuel to either not hire "sick" people or to get leverage later on to prove them incompetent.

I am sure some of us could start a new thread on workplace discrimination we have experienced either from management or co-workers. (co-workers were the factor with me)

ladylore

Account Closed

This is against the Human Rights Code of Canada and the Constitution in the States. I Canada it is illegal to ask any potential employee about their disability. Mental illness does fall under that basis.

It's the same as asking me, how I would go to the bathroom during the day. It's not allowed. I am surprised their wasn't a counter suit. Personally I would have taken then for everything they had, for suing me in the first place.

If a candidate is granted an interview in the first place it means their qualifications have shone through. If they get the job it on merit. Like any other employee, there is a probationary period. If they show they can't do the job with reasonable accommodation (which the employee needs to talk about once they get the job) then, like any other person, they can be let go.

Jackie

I wouldn't tell an employer, unless I wanted too. I feel its my business and its private and I do have a right to my privacy.

kaiser001

Might be off topic ....but somewhat relevant:

I was offered a job with Walmart last week. There was an understanding that I was currently on disability, and was limited in the number of hours I could work. This was understood by the individual conducting the interview, and was told it was not a problem.

I went in for orientation today. They had the paperwork in front of me ready to fill out, and a name tag in front of me on the table with my name on it... everything seemed ready to go.

So the store manager walks in and calls me into a side room, with two other employee's present. He takes a somewhat hostile posture and states "I am not sure we need you for the job." He goes on through my reference letters etc...and questions me on a period of unemployment that lasted for 6 years (due to mental illness). I told him I had been sick over that period of time, and was unable to work. He then asked me the nature of the illness, and I told him it was a mental illness. Further...he began to inquire about the type of mental illness... but as I was tentitively starting to reply he stopped me.

I was then told that I was going to have to start off working 30-37 hours a week... which would eventually drop to between 20-30 hours. This works out to almost 2 - 3 times the amount of money I am permitted to make while on disability. I told him I was under the impression that 12-15 hours a week was acceptable, as I had discussed the previous week during the original interview.

His respose: "Then Tim, you don't have a job."

He proceeds to walk out of the room saying nothing more.... with one of his underlings telling me they'd keep my application on file for six months...

I replied "That won't be necessary."

I suppose this is just the type of thing you run into when applying for jobs and being in this type of situation. Considering this would have been the first job I had attained since the beginning of a long-term mental illness, and that I am currently enrolled in college part-time, 30-37 hours would have been too much to handle.

I was fairly disgusted in this man's rudeness and the poor communication observed among those in charge of hiring employee's. The guy made me feel like a piece of dirt.

On to the next one...and hopefully (-) minus one "ass" of a manager. ;)

Tim

If I were in your position, I'd do whatever it took, go as high up the ladder as necessary, to see that that man lost his job and was never welcome in the Wal-Mart corporation again. His actions were absolutely unprofessional.

Jazzey

Account Closed

What this manager did is actually contrary to all of the employment laws in Canada Kaiser...

Having said that, there is a practical side to this. While I hate to say it, going up the ladder and pursuing this a lot of effort for, what I'm afraid of, would result in nothing changing...It's wrong, it stinks, but it would be hard to prove that he did what he did because of his bigotry (even though we know what it was ;) )

I'm going to cross my fingers and hope that the next manager isn't an ass. :) Also, if asked about the period of unemployment - just tell them that it was due to illness. If they ask further questions, just tell them that you are not comfortable answering those questions - and leave at that. He should never have asked you those questions.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder

I was going to say pretty much what Jazzey has said - these is a human rights violation and a violation of labor laws. I would encourage you to write a letter to the president of Walmart with a copy to the Human Rights Commission (or the other way around). I expect you could get the assistance of the CMHA on this one, too.

Trust

Hey Kaiser001! :)

What happened to you is disgusting to me! But - I agree with Jazzey and Dr. Baxter's suggestion to write the letters - but don't waste too much time thinking about it or pursuing it because although I would love to see some action taken for your sake, the result may not prove worth all the effort it would require. Wal-Mart has had employee issues, including problems with unions being started, and these things are are widely reported, but you don't have to offer yourself up as a poster child to fix the problems for others that follow you! JMO.

It takes a lot of positive energy to job search and interview and get prepared to start a new job, so focus on your goal and try not to be sidetracked by anyone else's negativity.

What struck me most significantly about your post was your last line . . .

On to the next one...and hopefully (-) minus one "ass" of a manager.

I wish I could have your attitude when I am faced with idiots I come across in life. Good for you for not allowing this person (and I use the term loosely) to discourage you!

My mother used to tell me when I was disppointed by something or someone, that it was God's way of making room for something much better to come along in my life. I bet that is what will happen for you. You don't have to be a believer in anyone but yourself to hang on to that hope.:cheerleader:

Your story also brought to mind a sweet memory of my mom to me so thank you for that inspiration as well!:D

Good luck - Kaiser001!:2thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.