More threads by angelikah

angelikah

Does anyone have any knowledge of, advice or resources on working through and healing from childhood trauma in adulthood? I've decided I'm going to work through my childhood trauma and attachment issues at home

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Does anyone have any knowledge of, advice or resources on working through and healing from childhood trauma in adulthood? I've decided I'm going to work through my childhood trauma and attachment issues at home

That's probably not a good decision. Yes, there are some self-help books that may be somewhat helpful but the likelihood of sucess without the assistance of a therapist is minimal.

Hi i have tried what you are suggesting It really does not work i only got more confused. I didn't have the skills to deal with all the pain and emotions coming out. A therapist will help you with dealing with all the confusion in your thoughts and will slowly help you deal with the trauma. Please try to get a therapist who deals with this type of trauma. You will learn to trust new therapist it will take time but you will. Take care angelikah

angelikah

Hi i have tried what you are suggesting It really does not work i only got more confused. I didn't have the skills to deal with all the pain and emotions coming out. A therapist will help you with dealing with all the confusion in your thoughts and will slowly help you deal with the trauma. Please try to get a therapist who deals with this type of trauma. You will learn to trust new therapist it will take time but you will. Take care angelikah

Thank you for sharing your experience with me violet.

I realize now after reading your response that I haven't been thinking rationally. Earlier I was planning to stop taking my medications, quit going to therapy, get rid of everything in my self-care kit and basically do a complete overhaul of my life. My thinking was: Since I don't plan on becoming a psychologist anymore I don't need to be on medications, I don't need to go to therapy anymore and I don't need this self-care kit because self-care, therapy and medications (good mental health) aren't a requirement in a field where I'd be working with computers.

Maybe I should take some time to heal before making any serious decisions. That does sound pretty irrational and impulsive now that I read it.

it is indeed irrational. you cannot be a functioning individual without self-care, regardless of what field you are working in.

working with computers doesn't mean not having to work with people. you still need to interact with people to know what it is you need to be doing on that computer. computers are there to serve and ideally make life easier for people, and that requires information, which requires consulting with someone at the very least.

angelikah, don't stop all of your hard work in therapy and your self-care. you need it. without it you cannot move forward, and you will never feel better.

I am glad you see that having a therapist would be the best way to get you to heal so you can go out and be what you want to be. You can be a good psychologist once your stable as you will have the insight into helping others. I hope you try to get a new therapist and stay on meds doctor prescribed. There are therapist who truly understand your pain. Let me know how you do okay you are worth it Angelkah and if it is working with computers you do or what ever path you choose therapist will help you get the coping skills to survive. Happy to see you will take time to think things through and not react to quickly :2thumbs: good for you.

angelikah

it is indeed irrational. you cannot be a functioning individual without self-care, regardless of what field you are working in.

working with computers doesn't mean not having to work with people. you still need to interact with people to know what it is you need to be doing on that computer. computers are there to serve and ideally make life easier for people, and that requires information, which requires consulting with someone at the very least.

angelikah, don't stop all of your hard work in therapy and your self-care. you need it. without it you cannot move forward, and you will never feel better.

(sigh) I know. I just feel really angry and frustrated and need to blow off some steam. Maybe feeling kinda hurt and disappointed too because she didn't give me a lot of time for processing, closure and transitioning to someone new.

ladylore

Account Closed
When you find a new therapist you may want to deal with this in therapy too. If your new therapist is comfortable with it that is.

Naturally you will be somewhat confused and upset and its okay to be angry. Im glad you can see where you are and now if you can try to move pass this. A new therapist is good because it a chance at seeing someone elses views of things and:cheerleader: techniques that could help you. New start new connection take care sending lots of support your way

angelikah

I am glad you see that having a therapist would be the best way to get you to heal so you can go out and be what you want to be. You can be a good psychologist once your stable as you will have the insight into helping others. I hope you try to get a new therapist and stay on meds doctor prescribed. There are therapist who truly understand your pain. Let me know how you do okay you are worth it Angelkah and if it is working with computers you do or what ever path you choose therapist will help you get the coping skills to survive. Happy to see you will take time to think things through and not react to quickly :2thumbs: good for you.

Thank you violet and ladylore. I plan on staying on my medications but beyond that I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I'm not sure who in my 3D world I can trust anymore. I'm starting to believe that I never should have trusted my mental health worker from the start. I feel kinda upset and angry with myself for trusting her. I feel like with all my past experiences I should have known better. Everything is up in the air for me right now. I'm not sure what path I'm going to take in life right now. I'm questioning everything I know or thought I knew about myself and life and everything any clinician has taught me. I guess I'm just going through a rough time right now.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.