More threads by David Baxter PhD

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Yoga Reduces Anxiety in Individuals Resistant to Other Treatments
Goodtherapy.org
March 14th, 2012

Anxiety can cause significant impairment in individuals, including lost time from work, decreased quality of life, substance dependence, depression, and even suicide. Many individuals who receive anti-anxiety medication respond relatively well but struggle with the negative side effects of medication, which include weight gain, sexual impairment, nausea, and even addiction. People who receive mindfulness-based treatment or cognitive behavioral therapy for symptoms of anxiety often discontinue treatment before they have realized any marked improvement. Finding effective and easy to administer treatments that can be used in conjunction with medication and other therapies could help decrease the overall cost of the illness and significantly improve the lives of those suffering with anxiety. One form of alternative therapy that has shown positive results in some anxiety-related disorders is yoga. Martin Katzman of the START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders in Canada recently conducted a study to determine how beneficial the addition of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) would be in clients with treatment-resistant anxiety.

Previous studies have shown that individuals with generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) often suffer with other conditions, including panic, social phobia, and depression. Additionally, the physical health of anxious individuals suffers as well. SKY and the breathing techniques taught through yoga encourage relaxation and decrease stress. Existing evidence shows that these methods help people improve their response to stress and can alleviate symptoms associated with depression and anxiety. For his study, Katzman chose individuals who had GAD and had been receiving traditional therapy and medication for at least 2 months. The participants were enrolled in 5 days of SKY and taught how to practice breathing exercises at home. Using the Hamilton Anxiety Scale (HAM), Katzman assessed the 31 participants after the experiment and found a dramatic decrease in symptoms of GAD. Specifically, the participants reported far fewer physical symptoms and less worry, one of the primary factors associated with anxiety. Katzman believes that these results, which demonstrated effectiveness in those with treatment-resistant anxiety, provide hope for those suffering with GAD. He added, ?The integration of Eastern mind-body practices and Western medicine bodes well for alleviating anxiety symptoms in those suffering from serious remission-resistant GAD.?

Reference:
Katzman, M., Vermani, M., Gerbarg, P., Brown, R., Iorio, C., Davis, M., Cameron, C., Tsirgielis, D. (2012). A multicomponent yoga-based, breath intervention program as an adjunctive treatment in patients suffering from generalized anxiety disorder with or without comorbidities. International Journal of Yoga 5.1, 57-65.

adaptive1

MVP, Forum Supporter
MVP
Interesting, I have never really been in love with yoga, maybe its worth another try. I find my mind just wanders and it is so hard to pull it back in. Other forms of exercise get me out of my head, and yoga just makes me stay in my thoughts/head even more. Maybe it would be good to try it again and really focus on practicing mindfulness, paying attention to breathe, the movement of your body etc, instead of the usual type of workouts that a lot of us do to burn calories.

Anyways, I am glad this was posted, something to think about.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Note that they're talking primarily about Hatha Yoga, not the more strenuous varieties.

Also, if yoga isn't your thing, give Tai Chi a try. :)

heatherly

It can also do the opposite. I saw a lot of people in Hindu yogic groups who ended up with serious psychological problems:

DowntheCrookedPath: Can Meditation Be Bad for You? by Mary Garden

Even Dr. Margaret Singer, PhD, who worked with yogi dropouts for over 50 years saw a lot of issues in her patients, even in those who had no previous psychological condition: DowntheCrookedPath: Dangers of Meditation-- Correspond to Hellish States

But for many, if done correctly and less than 20 minutes a day, it doesn't cause many problems and can be beneficial.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
It can also do the opposite. I saw a lot of people in Hindu yogic groups who ended up with serious psychological problems:

DowntheCrookedPath: Can Meditation Be Bad for You? by Mary Garden

First, that article is talking about meditation within the guru-disciple relationship, What we are discussing here is yoga, not yogis or gurus. Second, the article you reference is based on anecdotes, not evidence, and it is virtually impossible to draw any definitive or cause-effect conclusions based on anecdotes. It is equally likely that the psychological instability in those individuals was what drew them to seek a yogi-disciple relation ship in the first place, i.e., that it pre-existed before they even began that relationship.

Even Dr. Margaret Singer, PhD, who worked with yogi dropouts for over 50 years saw a lot of issues in her patients, even in those who had no previous psychological condition: DowntheCrookedPath: Dangers of Meditation-- Correspond to Hellish States

As I noted above, I think the article in the current thread is primarily talking about so-called "gentle yoga" (e.g., Hatha yoga) rather than some of the more aggressive and intense forms like kundalini yoga.

That said, the comments I made above about your first link also apply here. It seems improbable to me that breathing and exercise per se, no matter what the form, can cause psychosis in anyone. Has anyone ever suggested that running, walking, or dancercise has ever caused a psychotic break?

To your point about meditation increasing anxiety in some individuals, I would agree with that statement. Some people who try to meditate find themselves flooded with thoughts or memories that are distressing and distracting and they are simply not soothed by the practice. Some of those individuals do better with a body-focused procedure such as progressive deep muscle relaxation.

There is no one-size-fits-all for managing anxiety or anything else.

And of course, before beginning yoga or any form of physical exercise program you would be advised to consult with your doctor to make sure there are no medical impediments to beginning a new program.

But for many, if done correctly and less than 20 minutes a day, it doesn't cause many problems and can be beneficial.

Exactly.

heatherly

But yoga meditation came from the guru systems. I was in many different guru systems myself and saw the damage it did to people. Dr. Margaret Singer had clients who took yoga meditation and who had no previous psychiatric problems, not even in their family, and they ended up having problems themselves.

Even Patanjali who wrote the Yoga Sutras of Patanajali speaks of the dangers of pranayama if not done correctly. Here is an article written by a psychologist on Buddhist meditation: DowntheCrookedPath: Meditation-Related Psychosis from the Buddhist Perspective

I just think that people need to not just know of the benefits but also of the dangers.

---------- Post Merged at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Martin Katzman of the START Clinic for Mood and Anxiety Disorders in Canada recently conducted a study to determine how beneficial the addition of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) would be in clients with treatment-resistant anxiety.

Kriya yoga comes from the Hindu guru system and is taught by various groups such as Self Realization Fellowship, a group of which I had been a member, and I had taken the kriya initiations. While it did not affect me adversely, when I left SRF and went to the Vedanta Society, I learned from the gurus there that it can damage the heart and lungs and cause insanity. They also had members from SRF coming to them for help because of the damage done while practicing Kriya. When I studied mindfulness meditation at a Buddhist monastery I learned more of the dangers of meditation and began doing research into the subject because too many people were being hurt. Not all who join these organizations join because they have emotional problems; they join because they no longer believe in Christianity and the teachings are interesting, plus they promise the experience of God.

I just think people need to be aware of the dangers of meditation, especially Kriya, and especially if they already have some emotional problems.

David Baxter PhD

Late Founder
Kriya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sudarshan Kriya
Sudarshan Kriya is a powerful rhythmic breathing technique which is said to work on mental, physical and spiritual levels[2]. Sudarshan Kriya is different then Kriya Yoga. This breathing technique is founded in 1982[3] by H. H. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. Sudarshan Kriya is practiced by millions of people worldwide. It is found to be effective;It helps in improving well being(support immune system, detoxification, reduce stress)[4] and peace of mind(reduce stress, relieve depression, improve creativity, enhance brain function)[5]. There are some limitation that it may not be good for some health ailment and in pregnancy. Sudarshan Kriya is taught in various Art of Living courses[6].

See also:

Yoga for Anxiety and Depression - Harvard Health Publications

Breath In, Breath Out: The Antidepressant Effects of Sudarshan Kriya Yogic Breathing

I am not a yoga lover during in the past, its just that when I see people doing yoga, it seems they are only performing an ordinary activity. But glad it happened I was forced to do it because of one of my colleagues, well at the start, I feel so embarassed but eventually the embarrassment slowly turning in to fun. I am currently searching for yoga techniques that I can do while sitting at work, I only know some. Yoga is good also in fighting stress.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.