More threads by AmZ

AmZ

I just wanted to say a few things about hope and the road to recovery.

All of your hard work and patience will pay off eventually. I?m not saying that it is easy but as long as you have at least in the back of your mind that you really want to get better, then you will.

There are days when you will think there is no hope, I am hopeless and helpless but ever so gradually you will start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like I say, it just takes time and determination.

Talking from my own experience, I see that time has been a healer for me too so it?s not just about quick fixes (unfortunately). At the beginning of my mental breakdown 2 1/2 years ago, I was naive enough to think that this would be something I?d battle a bit with for a few months, no hospitalisations needed and all the rest of it, but things snowballed and that?s exactly it ? Things get worse before they get better.

Gradually, with the right mix of medications, therapy and self-help/motivation, you can make it. I really want to instil that point. It really is possible and it does happen.

I am at the point of taking a very active role in therapy and this has been a big turning point for me. Feeling better enough to be workable in therapy and starting to realise the things I have to work on.

Outside of therapy, I am constantly trying to work on myself. I read books about the road to recovery from depression and BPD, have a DBT workbook that I ordered from Amazon, and have also read a couple of self-help books which can and I think, should, be read more than once.

I?m not trying to paint just a pretty picture of this. I know that even I?m still going to have bad days, but gradually the good/OK days outnumber the bad days.

I?m starting to open my eyes from the depression more and more and see the world through clearer eyes. I?m starting to see that there is good in the world, it?s not all evil. There are good things to take from life, studies, being in a relationship, starting a family, friends, a career, leisure time and much more. Even just a 20 minute fast walk to get your heart pumping a bit and eating healthily to have a sense of wellbeing.

I know it?s not the same for everyone. Some people have worse things to deal with and overcome, but that?s what I?ve learned also is that each person is on their own journey and it is bad to compare yourself to others. I was told by my therapist that that is the first rule of therapy, not to compare yourself to others as each deals differently with their own issues.

You can do it. You really can. Just hold on (tight). You may slip and fall now and again or maybe even a lot but know that there will be better days ahead for you.

Feel good.

Replying is not possible. This forum is only available as an archive.